1976 Triumph TR-6 RESTORED & FACTORY HARDTOP!
Sale price: $US $6,300.00 make an offer
Sale type: Fixed price listing
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
1976 Triumph TR-6 RESTORED & FACTORY HARDTOP! for sale
Current customer rating: (115 votes) based on
Professional Conversion to Early TR6 Appearance & Restored Factory Hardtop!
Professionally Restored TR6 - Desirable Upgrades & Subtle Modifications
Comprehensive Mechanical Restoration <2. 00 Miles (Documented)
Lovely Cosmetic Restoration - Factory Correct Pimento Red / Factory Matching. Black Interior
Unique Period Upgrades Including Gauges. Wheels. Rollbar & More!
THIS PARTICULAR TRIUMPH - SUMMARY
This TR6 was owned by local Bay area sports car enthusiasts who. over the years invested in a comprehensive restoration of the exterior. interior. engine & drive-line. suspension and virtually every major part of the car. The car's owners approached the car with a "cost no object” philosophy as is demonstrated by the extensive history of maintenance. repairs and restoration costs that will accompany the car.
In fact. the engine rebuild and other mechanical improvements (completed within 1. 00 miles by local British car specialists). are documented with an investment that reportedly exceeded $35. 00 (comprehensive receipts document much of the work). The details contained in the notebook maintained by the car's current and previous owner contain information on the TR6 dating back over the course of 15+ years and include everything from receipts for repairs to a wide range of other information (from wiring schematics to a variety of technical bulletins and other information).
Cosmetically. the car has been gone through from top to bottom including a high quality re-spray (The cars original "Pimento Red / Code #72 is shown on the trim tag). completely replaced interior / dash. restored factory hardtop. custom features (driving lights. uniquely configured dashboard including a MIG fighter clock. additional dash mounted gauges. authentic "period” American Racing wheels and more. While the details of the work are too lengthy to list item by item. they are contained in a large binder that is 3”+ thick. A summary of the work performed along with the cars condition can be found below.
• Late production example of the TR6 (Only 1. 85 additional cars manufactured until production ended)
• Proper TR6 color (Pimento red) / TR Color code 72 - Trim 11 (Black)
• Late model 1976 (last year) with VIN # CF56443 (Produced May. 1976 based on trim tag)
• Restored by current owner and owned for 13+ years
• Factory original restored hardtop finished in Pimento red (shown in photos)
• No current accident damage to body / bumpers
• Door close solidly and all locks are functional
• No rust or rot through on exterior body panels
• Recently Passed California smog
• "Chrome Bumper" TR6 with beautiful conversion to pre- 1974 all chrome bumper example
• Beautiful custom fabricated front stainless steel brackets with desirable (and costly!) Marchal driving lights fitted (refer to photos)
• Refinished original wood dashboard
• All new Carrelli carpet & under-felt (Dynamat type insulation)
• New trunk liner board kit (carpeted not fiberboard)
Extensive file of maintenance / restoration records and indexed history on the TR6 including:
Summary of work completed over 15+ years:
• Previous titles / paperwork
• Suspension information (upgrades. work performed. etc. )
• Electrical information (Work completed. schematics. wiring diagrams. and more. )
• Body (Information on cosmetic restoration. receipts and more receipts!)
• Interior information
• Painting Details
BODY TRIM & TOP
The paint work rates very high by any standard and is high gloss with no peeling. fading. or signs of damage. The body is free from damage as well as dents and other noticeable imperfections. Considering the vintage of the TR6 panel fit is generally good with tight closing doors. trunk. and properly releasing front hood. Rocker panels show some signs of misalignment due to being replaced to ensure a totally rust free example when the car underwent its cosmetic restoration. As British car enthusiasts can attest. panel fitment was never a strong suit of manufacturers of 1970's vintage vehicles.
An emergency hood release has been installed in the event of the somewhat common cable failure that can occur on the TR6. The doors do not sag. and the hinges are solid and rust free. The undersides of the hood and trunk areas are very clean and free of dirt; oil and grease (see photos on the Website). The door jambs and inner hood area support that the car was totally disassembled when it received its a complete professional re-paint including door jambs. undersides of hood and trunk and all other areas of the car. No partial repainting has been done since the car was restored.
The doors and trunk lock. As the photographs suggest. this is striking example of the ever popular TR6.
Based on our history of the Triumph and an independent inspection. there is no damage to the chassis. and the car does not show any indications of major accident damage to the frame. or body panels.
Additional items worth noting relative to the body include:
• Restoration took place at 35. 64 miles (just 4. 08 miles ago)
• Body restoration (and paint) cost over $6. 00. 00 in 2003!
• New door felts. rubbers and soft trim
• Matching factory hardtop with new side trim. headliner and excellent glass
• Bumpers. luggage rack and other exterior trim replaced
• New license plate lights
• New custom configured front bumper with costly Marchal driving lights (a great "Period” look!
• Many exterior components polished
• New chrome "Bullet” mirrors
• New sill plates
• New upper windshield trim plate
• Restored convertible top frame
• Install canvas convertible top
• Too many additional other details to note (Please review photographs)
The convertible top on the TR6 is in good condition but has been stored for many years. New convertible top webbing was installed. The side windows and rear windows are very clear. and there are no tears. rips or damage to the top. While it reaches the windshield header our photos shows it in the sun where it should sit to stretch before being fully fastened. The top operates freely and easily.
The hardtop is in nice condition as well. The trim was replaced along the windows as was the headliner. The hardtop has been stored since the restoration since the owner has enjoyed the car with the top down on sunny California days.
The exterior trim is also in great condition with much of the trim being replaced at the time of the restoration. While the 1976 had what some enthusiasts consider the ‽Ugly rubber bumpers”. that reality has been addressed with the clever removal of the front and rear "rubber bumperettes. ” Marchal driving lights are mounted in the front on the custom made. highly polished stainless steel brackets (have the appearance of chrome). The rear chrome bumper has the appearance of a stock earlier (pre-1974) TR6 and is considerably more attractive.
They are free from accident damage. and are fit with no gaps or misalignment. The chrome on the front and rear bumpers is excellent and they are extremely straight and free from rust. pitting or any significant flaws.
The other exterior trim including the chrome side view mirror. door handles. headlight chrome trim rings. large chrome gas cap. and other chrome are also free from any rust / pitting and in excellent condition.
The glass on the car is free from cracks and damage. and all of the windows roll up and seal properly. The front windshield is free from any cracks. and is in very good condition.
The trunk is very clean and contains the original spare and tools. The boot board (toward the forward part of the car) has been replaced as has the carpet resulting in a very clean attractive trunk area. There are no signs. of rust. leakage or moisture in the trunk area.
The interior is in beautiful condition and largely stock in its condition with the exception of some period Rally style upgrades that could easily be removed should the new owners so desire. Frankly. we would leave the car absolutely as is and appreciate the tasteful upgrades.
Specifically. some of the interior upgrades include the following:
• Beautiful interior including seats. door panels. carpeting. dash and trim
• Lovely La Carrera wooden steering wheel
• High quality wood dash installed
• All gauges removed. cleaned & serviced
• 140 mph Smiths speedometer added (Reads in miles and kilometers)
• All bezels polished. re-chromed or replaced with new
• Add map light on right side of dash (fully functional)
• The glove box locks and fits well and is in very good condition
• New visors
• Add gauges (Vacuum & temperature) to upper dash in nice enclosure
• Add custom panel. switches & clock (Reportedly from a MIG fighter plane)
• Fuel pump switch (red) mounted on dash
• Install cigar lighter (Car not smoked in. for cell phone or other electronic connection)
• Repair windows
• Add fire extinguisher
• 3” wide "4 point” seat belts added to driver's side
• Lucas "Prince of Darkness” small discreet pin mounted subtly between speedometer and tachometer
• From the seats to the dash. door panel and carpeting. everything has been restored over the years. The TR 6 interior presents extremely well and does not require any attention or show any signs of noticeable / significant signs of wear.
ENGINE & MECHANICAL
Frankly. the TR6 is one of our favorite late 1960's - early 1970's British cars to drive. They have great torque. power. and emit a wonderful sound from the stock dual exhaust system. In this case. the sound is even better as a result of the Monza exhaust system that sounds just right; not too loud but perfect for a sports car from this era.
The TR6 runs and drives great. While the car is subject to California smog. it has passed smog and received some repairs to ensure that it is smog compliant in California. The TR6 is exempt from many state requirements as a result of it being over 25 years of age (Please check with your local state authorities). For California buyer's. the TR6 will be registered to California buyers prior to delivery.
To say the TR6 is strong mechanically would be an understatement. When it comes to drivability. this particular TR6 is great. The car is great fun to drive and does not exhibit any problems. The car starts immediately when cold and hot and runs cool. even in warm California temperatures. The battery is excellent and the TR6 always starts on the first attempt.
The engine is very strong and does not smoke. leak. or exhibit any problems. The Triumph idles smoothly at just below 1000 rpm. and does not hesitate. or have any issues. A compression was taken with results as follows: 140/150/150/150/150/150.
The transmission shifts very well and the syncromesh gears are all fine. The TR6 does not pop out of gear. whine. slip. or exhibit any drivability issues whatsoever. There is no noise in the drive-line and the clutch engages properly and without slippage. chattering or fuss. The car steers straight and sure. the brakes work well and stop the car without any pulling. squeaking or noise. The emergency brake is functional and correctly adjusted.
This is excellent running/driving (and good looking!) We see nice original Triumphs selling for over $30. 00. 00 and climbing. This is a TR6 that will provide years of enjoyment and. best of all. it is offered at a reasonable price.
The information below represents a summary of the work that has been completed on the TR6 including significant work within the previous 500 miles!
At 39. 09 miles (<1. 00 miles ago)
• Big brake conversion (Including front drilled and slotted rotors)
• 4 piston calipers
• New master cylinder
• Bleed brakes / new fluid
• New rear brake lines & wheel cylinders as needed
• Replace any needed brake components
Above work completed by British master mechanic at a cost of $3. 00. 00~
At 38. 00 miles <2. 00~ miles ago)
• Engine rebuild at a cost of $13. 00. 00 including:
• Newly rebuilt cylinder head with bronze guides. hard seats / surface & machine head
• New performance camshaft
• New rocker assembly. gaskets & major tune / service
• Add Petronics electric ignition
• New timing seal gaskets
• New hoses. clamps. fuses. etc.
• Drain & refill coolant with new
• Total rebuilt of carburetors. linkage (using many new components)
• Bring car up to Smog spec by ensuring the presence of original smog pump and all other equipment so the car would be California legal
• Remove gas tank. repair minor leak and flush system
• New float & gasket set while out of car
• New clutch. rear crankshaft seal & front transmission seal
• Rebuilt clutch slave cylinder
• New seals. gaskets & paint components
Within several thousand miles:
• Rebuilt alternator
• Spin on oil filter added
• Add aluminum radiator for improved cooling
• Add overflow jar
• New heater control valve
• New engine & transmission mounts
• Rebuilt front end with nylon bushings
• New exhaust mounts & Monza exhaust
• Replace steering rack boots & tie rod ends
• Replace steering rack mounts
• Remove & replace pinion & stub axles / bearings
Many new and used parts are included with the TR6 as are shop / repair manuals and a reproduction owner's manual (shown in the photos).
To say this Triumph TR 6 has gone through an extensive. complete mechanical restoration would be a dramatic understatement. While it is impossible to detail everything that was done to the Triumph (Including extensive work within the past 2. 00~ miles). the following will provide the prospective buyer with a good feel for the extensive nature of the work performed.
Engine bay was highly detailed as were all components. The engine. suspension and braking system are better than new and totally fresh. The TR6 includes volumes of receipts. installation manuals for products used and considerable technical information.
Over the years. we have seen virtually every British sports car from the 50's and 60's and the TR6 remains one of our personal favorites. This car is considerably more affordable than many others but will draw even more attention as a result of its uniqueness.
HISTORY TRIUMPH TR6
The TR6 was introduced in January 1969. using a similar chassis and running gear components to those used in the TR5/TR250. However. the bodywork. while retaining some elements of the TR5/TR250 design. was externally restyled by Karmann. Apart from smoothing the lines of the car. the design changes also gave the car more boot space. A front anti-roll bar now formed part of the specification and wider wheels were also fitted making the car look low. lean and very fast - which. of course. it was. courtesy of the TR5/TR250 smooth 6-cylinder inline 2498cc engine.
The powerful six-cylinder engine is a reliable unit. with the USA-market carbureted (104 hp) fuel delivery. The TR6 was modified in several respects during its production run. and the components affected include the gearbox (including ratios and an overdrive). making the later model cars more drivable. The trim was also altered. and an air dam was fitted below the bumper from 1976. While the 1974+ TR6 cars came from the factory with "Safety bumpers” that had large rubber over riders. they have been removed from this car resulting in clean chrome bumpers similar to those found on earlier Triumph's.
Also offered was a factory hardtop that many considered one of the more attractive options. This particular car includes a totally restored factory hardtop.
The TR6 came to the end of its production in July 1976 (February 1975. for UK models). In all. 94. 19 TR6 cars were built. of which 86. 49 were exported to the United States. The car retained the appeal of the traditional British sports models but had the additional. exciting element of being faster. and more furious than would be rivals. This combination of tradition and power helps to explain its popularity today. The two seats are comfortable and there is ample legroom. even for the taller driver. The trim is functional. rather than fancy. The dash is neat and uncluttered. and endearing feature of most of the 1960's vintage Triumphs. The wooden dash gives an air of quality.
The rear end styling of the Karmann bodywork is as neat as that of the front. with flowing lines that incorporate the tail lamps and rear bumpers. The luggage compartment is very roomy for that of a two-seater sports car. and an improvement on the trunk of the earlier Triumphs. Overall. the TR6 is an attractive. "torquey” and very enjoyable two-seater. It's very good overall performance. good road holding. and reliability. plus its sheer character. makes it a car that is a joy to drive by any sports car enthusiast.
LICENSE / REGISTRATION / INSPECTION
- Carries a clean California title (registered in California)
- California smog legal
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- We have a number of additional. detailed photographs on our Website but are not allowed to show the URL on eBay. Please contact us and we'll gladly direct you to the site.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers. terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed or open at very attractive rates.
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles. we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle). thanks in large part to the Internet!
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle. California buyers will be subject to sales tax. documentation fee. DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: if the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads. sales-tax. license registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- We encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail. Also. we find telephone conversations are helpful to answer detailed questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives. and any questions that you may have regarding Classic Cars Ltd. and our 23+ year history of selling sports and high performance vehicles.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However. we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles. and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history / feedback. standing in the community. length of time in business. and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Please keep in mind that minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips. nicks. scratches. and other imperfections that exist on virtually every used car. Also. ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles. these cars require regular. ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge. patience. and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said. collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but. in some instances. has been provided by the car's previous owner or other sources. As a result. we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers” and significant data contained in this listing prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering. We also encourage inspections prior to the end of the auction.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always. we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector car being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including. but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior. exterior. top. chrome. etc. or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance. licensing by the state. and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action. grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources. transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
* Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same. small. California town for over 23+ years. We operate a small "brick & mortar". indoor showroom. and specialize in the sale. consignment. and purchase of sports. high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
* The majority of our vehicles come from local. private owners and collectors. and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars. with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally. and around the country. As a result. we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales. such as wholesale auctions. salvage sales. or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles. or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
* Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 910+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
* We are fully insured. bonded. and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
* Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50. 00 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
* We enjoy excellent relationships with a number of transport companies and. as a result. can often times obtain preferred pricing for vehicle shipping. Please give us a call and we will be glad to refer you to suitable transport companies. Needless to say. we would recommend a quality. enclosed transporter that is experience with moving high quality. collectible cars.
* We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers. and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
Thank you. br>
Classic Cars Ltd.
Body Type / Style:Convertible Exterior Color:Pimento Red Interior Color:Black Engine:6 Cylinder Transmission: 4 Speed Manual Mileage:40372 Drive:Rear Doors:2
Convertible Boot Cover
Dual Side Mirrors
Factory Bucket Seats
Finished / Carpeted Trunk
Fog / Driving Lights
Fresh Complete Engine Rebuild
Front Disc Brakes
Front Sway Bar
Seat Belts (Front)
Period American Racing Wheels
Note: Reflection from exhaust on lower bumper
From a Fighter Plane!
Beautiful Dash / Gauges
"Old School" Cocoa Mats
Bad photo. chrome fire extinguisher
Hardtop Just placed on Car (Not fastened)
New rubber trim
Sand blasted when restored
Very straight frame - Sand blasted
Very solid floor pans
Clear windows & quality canvas
TONS of records!!
Manuals. Owner's Manual & Parts
Terms & Conditions
Buyers outside of California will be responsible for a $195. 00 fee for processing/administration. The charge will apply if the vehicle is purchased through ebay or before or after the auction. directly through Classic Cars Ltd.
The vehicle is listed for sale elsewhere. We reserve the right to end the auction at anytime. We will be glad to discuss details of a "pre-auction" purchase (925) 846 1451.
Inspections of vehicles are encouraged but (by appointment only) must be completed within 24 hours of the end of the auction.
Out of state buyers are responsible for the high bid and any shipping costs. California buyers are subject to the appropriate sales tax. DMV transfer. and fees associated with the purchase of any used vehicle sale in the state of California.
To avoid shipping the title with the car to our out of state buyers. we mail the title via Priority Mail.
While shipping and transportation costs (if appropriate) are the responsibility of the winning bidder. we can assist with locating a suitable transporter. We regularly ship cars all over the USA/World. and can often times locate very competitive rates for transporting vehicles door to door. to a local terminal. enclosed. open. etc. Please call us for specific information/rates to your location.
We meet some great people and fellow enthusiasts. and only rarely do we have problems with non-paying bidders. Please be certain that you are prepared to buy the car if you bid. or call us at 925-846-1451 before the end of the auction if we can answer any questions. If you have a "sunglass" rating or fewer than 10 feedback ratings on eBay. please call us before you bid so that we can discuss the bidding process. etc. If we do not hear from you. we reserve the right to delete your bid.
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd.
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Triumph cars offered via internet auctions:
price: $10,000.001974 Triumph TR-6
price: $28,500.001959 Triumph TR3
price: $US $2,849.991965 Triumph Other TR4 A
price: $US $7,200.001978 Triumph Spitfire
|1959 Triumph TR3||4||$35,995.00|
|1972 Triumph Spitfire||4||$11,995.00|
|1963 Triumph TR4||4||$14,995.00|
|1972 Triumph TR-6||4||$12,995.00|
|1961 Triumph TR3||21||$31,950.00|
|1974 Triumph TR-6||21||$18,900.00|
|1979 Triumph Spitfire --||21||$8,950.00|
|1976 Triumph Spitfire||10||$4,800.00|
|1975 Triumph TR-6||5||$18,000.00|
|1979 Triumph Other TR7||16||$11,000.00|
|1974 Triumph TR-6 TR-6||1||$8,900.00|
|1971 Triumph TR-6||12||$US $5,000.00|
|1968 Triumph TR 250 TR 250||9||$US $38,350.00|
|1973 Triumph Other||15||$US $1,800.00|
|1976 Triumph TR 7||7||$US $500.00|
|1970 Triumph TR-6||13||$US $6,500.00|
|1976 Triumph TR-6||18||$US $3,500.00|
|1972 Triumph TR-6||12||$US $6,900.00|
|1969 Triumph TR-6 --||21||$US $202.50|
|1975 Triumph TR-6||16||$US $4,300.00|