Useful information

Driving in England

Do you like this article?

Before starting to drive a car in the UK, You should familiarize yourself with the legal requirements and to obtain information about the correct procedure driving and registration of documents.

Requirements for drivers

1. You should drive on the left and overtake on the right side.
2. If You drive a motorcycle or moped, You are required to have a helmet on his head.
3. The driver and the passenger in the front seat are required to wear seat belts; the passengers in the rear seat must be fastened by safety belts where they are installed.
4. You must not drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
5. You must observe the speed limit: 30 or 40 miles per hour in the settlements, the 70 - on motorways and 60 - on all other roads.
6. You must comply with the age requirements: for driving a car or motorcycle to 25кW You should have a minimum of 17 years; the minimum age for driving of motor vehicles is medium in size and 18 years of age.
7. You must have a driver's license, which allow You to drive vehicles in the UK.

Driver License

If You want to drive a vehicle, You should find out whether you can use Your existing rights and how long You can use them. This will depend on where Your driver's license was issued. It is possible that You will be able to:

- To exercise the rights granted by You in Your country;
- Apply for the exchange of driver's license on the right of the United Kingdom; or
- Apply for a provisional driving licence and pass the driving to obtain a full driving licence rights the UK.

The use of driver's licenses, which are not recognized in the United Kingdom, criminal violation. If You do not have a valid driving license, the insurance on Your car will be voided, and You make a secondary criminal offence for driving without valid insurance. Similarly, in the case of an accident, the insurance does not cover Your expenses for repair, if You do not have a valid driving license.

Foreigners coming to the UK for a period of 12 months or less, can drive small vehicles (car, motorcycle or transport up to 3.5 tons) 12 months from the date of first arrival in the UK if:

1. Have a full driving licence issued by them in the country of residence, or an international driving license.
2. Driver's license will be valid for the entire period of stay in the UK.

Foreigners coming to the UK for a period of 12 months or more, may enjoy the rights granted by them in their country, in the first 12 months on arrival. If You want to continue to drive in the UK after 12 months, You must obtain the prior rights of the United Kingdom (provisional licence), which will give You the right to submit an application for the surrender of driving and pass the driving before the 12-month period has expired. To apply for a provisional law of great Britain is possible, after filling form D1 and D750 (in any post office) and submitting them after 6 months of stay in the UK. If You do not submit the application for provisional drivers licence UK during the first 12 months of stay in the country, then You should stop driving until You do not get a provisional driving licence.

When applying for a driver's license is required to attach 2 photos of passport size. Brochure DVLA INS108 contains more detailed information, with an indication of the rules, regarding Your immigration status.

After receipt of provisional driving licence You must adhere to the terms, which belong to the owners of provisional driver's license, as long as You don't pass the theoretical and practical examinations for obtaining a full driving licence rights. These conditions include: the existence of the car that You drive, «L-plates», driving under the supervision of a qualified driver, sitting next to You on the passenger seat, which must be older than 21 years and have a full driving licence of the great Britain in the period of 3 years.

Nikita Volgin