1966 Saab model 96 Standard - orange and black. Nice antique classic
Sale price: $1,600.00 make an offer
Seller's notes: "Vehicle needs partial restoration. See below for full deails"
Sale type: Fixed price listing
Sale type: Fixed price listing
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Engine:||3 cylinder, 2 stroke|
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
1966 Saab model 96 Standard - orange and black. Nice antique classic for sale
Current customer rating: (340 votes) based on
Let me first explain that I fully understand that different people will have different opinions of the car. But you should know before you bid that I WILL NOT sell the car to anyone that is going to use it for parts or customize it. I'm not selling the car because I'm broke. I'm selling it so that it can be restored by someone that has the time and desire to do it. It is not perfect but it is FAR too nice to destroy. I will just leave it where it is if it cannot be sold to a collector or Saab enthusiast. I will try to be as open as I can about the description below and you are welcome to call me with specific questions at 270-577-1821.
The body of the car is in really good shape. There is no serious damage and appears to have never been. I cannot find anyplace on the car that appears to have been repaired. There are. of course. minor nicks and small dings from normal use but nothing serious. There is no obvious rust anywhere on the car. As I said. it has been inside the entire time I have had it and remains inside. The attorney that owned it before me also kept in indoors. The main body of the car has been painted bright orange many years ago and the top is black. The car appears it was originally a white white with a very slight blue tint. All of the glass is good and none is cracked or broken. The door windows roll up and down but are a little stiff from years of not moving. The bumpers are complete but some of the chrome plating has fallen off.
The interior is complete but needs re-done. It has no obvious pieces missing but time and wear has taken a toll on the interior so it needs reworking when you do the rest of the car.
The mechanics are unknown. Several parts of the engine have been removed for access. They appear to all be in the trunk. The engine is a two stroke 3 cylinder gas and oil engine. sort of like an old moped. This is the way most of them were. Like a lawn mower or any two stage engine. when they sit for long periods of time and the oil is not circulated through the engine with the gas. the engine will stick. The engine in this Saab appears to be stuck. I am told that they can be unstuck by heating the block and allowing a penetrating oil to soak in but I have not had time to deal with it. I figured we would work on that when we worked on the rest of the car. I can make no promises on the engine but there is nothing that is obvious that shows damage. The same goes for the transmission. Since I cannot run the car. I cannot assess the transmission. It is a 3 speed on the column and it looks fine visibly.
The floor and trunk pans are solid and not rusted. There are no holes in them that I can find. All the inner fender wells are rust free also. It really is a clean car and far as rust. I guess it's time indoors plus a life in Texas and Oklahoma made a BIG difference.
You also need to know that there is no current title to the car. The attorney did not receive one from the deceased owner's wife. I tracked back to the family in Oklahma to try to get a title and learned that the wife is now deceased as well. She had no children so there were no heirs to contact about the car. I have researched and learned that because of the age of the car. you can get a title issued in most states. The easist way is to have a title broker get one for you. That runs about $200. 00 and there are usually several listed on eBay. I have been a police officer for 23 years and know of what I speak! With a broker. you give them the VIN and their fee and they fill out the paperwork and send you a title in about 6 weeks or less. I will sell the car with a bill of sale and will happily provide any other paperwork you feel you need. The car does still bear Oklahoma plates showing being last registered in 1978. There is also a Texas plate with the car.
The car does have it's original owner's manual and a pamphlet that appears that the car may have been through a Carlisle Vintage Car Auction sometime in the past. There is also a factory Saab repair manual and an aftermarket manual in the trunk. The car has it's original jack. all hubcaps and misc. vintage parts in the trunk.
If you are nearby and want to see the car prior to bidding and before the end of the auction. just call me at 270-577-1821. Any questions will be addressed MUCH quicker by phone as I only check e-mail once a day and that is at night. Please do not wait until the last few hours of the auction to ask a question as I likely will not see it until after the sale is over. Please also understand that if you bid and win. you own the car. You are not bidding to have the right to come and decide after you get here.
Questions and answers:Let me cover a few questions that I am sure I will get 100 times while this auction is running. Also. please check the eBay question and answer section below the photos to see if your question has already been covered.
* Will you trade for my . (fill in the blank)?You are welcome to e-mail what you have but here are a few things to keep in mind. I am not going to trade you even unless you are offering something that is beyond belief. I am likely well away from where you are. If you have something to offer. nbsp;I would prefer to see it in person and that makes it difficult. I will need detailed photos to give it thought. I am not interested in snowmobiles. jet skis. nbsp;john boats. bass boats. ex-wives (or current ones!). or ANY type of project vehicle. I will consider items such as sports cars. large boats or items that are sell-able quickly. I do not have time or the ability to deal with anything that I will have to put much effort into.
* Does this Saab have airbags and seatbelts? Yes to seatbelts and no to airbags. It has has all factory installed safety items and they are in good shape.
* Will this Saab pass emissions in my state? I have no idea. I am in Kentucky and we have no emissions testing here. I have no way to test it for any state and I have no idea what your state requires. It is 100% up to you to check on these items for yourself. If you buy the car. you buy the car. It will be your responsibility to make it meet whatever requirements your state has. There may be no changes that need to be made but keep in mind that you will not be allowed to back out of the sale should you not put any effort into finding out BEFORE you bid. Please refer to the last paragraph that covers non-payment. I don't mean to sound like a jerk here but the last time I failed to mention this I had an idiot in California complaining that their 1978 VW Beetle convertible did not have a catalytic converter on it! They were not made with converters in 1978 and there is NOTHING I can do about it.
* Will you ship internationally?Yes. I will but it is your responsibility to find out the costs. I am happy to help make the arrangements and have shipped numerous cars internationally. If you pay extra for me to do it. I will get it to a shipping port. Please understand that a price a shipper gives you is from a port city. We are not on the ocean and the car will have to be transported to the port. That will be extra. I WILL NOT accept money orders. cashier's checks or any other check for international shipping. Payment will be made by a bank wire transfer and by no other means. except in some cases with Canada. I WILL NOT accept anything but the deposit through Paypal as their fees are too high to process large amounts through.
* Will this be a good car for my teenaged son/daughter? They really like it and want me to buy it for them. This simplest answer to this is NO! This is an antique sports car and it needs to be driven by an adult that knows what that means. Any classic or antique car requires much care and maintenance and young people are not the best owners or operators for them. Buy junior a Toyota or Honda that he or she does have have to think much about and leave this car for a collector that knows how to care for it.
As for delivery mentioned above. The details are simple. If you pay me extra. I will deliver the Saab anywhere in the mainland US. I may be able to include lower Canada but you must check with me on that first. There are rules that apply to importing into Canada and all taxes and tariffs will be the buyer's responsibility. If I am delivering . I will delivery on my personal trailer. I have to consider distance. gas. food and lodging expenses. time I have on hand. and the amount of time I will have to be off work. ect. These things add up so don't expect it to be really cheap. I will likely be cheaper and faster than a shipping company but I strongly suggest that you check your options if you are not going to pick it up yourself. Payment must be made IN FULL before the vehicle will leave my location. No exceptions will be made. not even to dealers!
Bidding and payment terms are pretty simple as well. DO NOT bid of you have no money! These auctions are expensive and I will not allow zero or low feedback bidders to bid. If you do. I will cancel the bid and block you from bidding again. Negative feedback is worse as zero feedback. as far as I'm concerned. If you are not new to eBay but have no feedback and feel you should be allowed to bid. contact me and we'll work something out. My cell is 270-577-1821. Don't wait until the last minute to do this as it will be too late. As for payment. I expect a $300. 00 deposit via Paypal within 48 hours. The remaining amount should be paid within no more than 7 days. I accept any reasonable form of payment but checks must clear before the car will leave here. If you are picking it up. don't expect to show-up on Saturday or Sunday and write a check and leave with the car. Best bet for a weekend pick-up is cash or mail the check in advance so it will clear before you arrive. I will be happy to store the Saab indoors after payment until you can come and get it. within reason. Do not buy the car expecting that I will deliver it without making sure with me first! We will need to discuss that in advance. I always welcome deliveries to Florida as I can always use more vacation time!
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:from Steve Handly, dated 02 january 2015
Do youi still have this car for sale? I am looking for a 2 stoke 96 to restore. thanks,
Other classic Saab cars offered via internet auctions:
price: $US $15,400.001988 BMW M5
price: $US $2,000.001972 Saab Sonett
price: $999.005 speed, no rust, car is ready to go.
price: £4,950.00SAAB 96 V4 GOLD rare classic
|1973 Saab Sonett||14||$US $2,550.00|
|1973 Saab Sonett 97||12||$US $1,000.00|
|1970 Saab 9 6||21||$4,500.00|
|1988 Saab 900 convertible||1||$US $350.00|
|1962 Other "Bullnose" Panel Van 95 "Bullnose" Panel Van||21||$US $9,150.00|
|1988 Saab 900||21||$US $1,526.00|
|1967 Saab 96||19||$US $900.00|
|1988 Saab 900 S||18||$3,300.00|
|1988 Saab 900 2dr Coupe Convertible||21||$4,950.00|
|1965 Saab 96||13||$US $700.00|
|1971 Saab 96||14||$US $600.00|
|1968 Saab Other||7||$US $2,026.00|
|1979 Saab 900||2||$6,800.00|
|1968 Saab Sonett||17||$US $997.00|
|1973 Saab Sonett||14||$US $6,000.00|
|1988 Saab 900||21||$US $1,175.00|
|1967 Saab 96||9||$16,500.00|
|1968 Saab Sonett||12||$US $11,100.00|
|1988 Saab 900||9||$US $1,410.00|
|1979 Saab 900||2||$6,800.00|