1949 TRIUMPH ROADSTER
Sale price: £7,155.00 make an offer
Technical specifications, photos and description:
1949 TRIUMPH “BERGERAC” ROADSTER For Restoration
Original car with “Dickey Seats”. fitted 2. 1 Litre Triumph TR4 Engine
Rare opportunity to purchase a “Bergerac” Roadster in need of sympathetic restoration. Does not require “Body Off” job. and the car is running. drives and is mainly complete. This will be a wonderful car when fully restored; however it is not for the faint hearted. Inspection recommended.
I purchased this car last year in a barn. where it had stood unused for almost 15 years (last taxed and on the road in 1988). She was a non-runner. covered in rubbish. cracked windscreen. keys lost and brakes/clutch were seized. She had been driven into the barn by its previous owner. where it had been forgotten about until after he died and was sold to me by his estate.
She has the original aluminium bodywork and massive tubular steel chassis with the original rear dickey seats and separate rear windscreen . At some point in its life. the original 1. 8 litre engine and gearbox were replaced with much better and more reliable long stroke 4 cylinder Triumph TR4 engine (2138cc) and gearbox with floor change (as opposed to the original column change). Several other items have also been replaced with “period” items including the front seats. bumpers. rear lights and dashboard (see photos): however these are all in keeping with the car (see photos).
After recovering the car to Bristol. the following work has been done:-
1. Engine - new distributor cap. leads. plugs. battery . some hoses and fuel pipe/filter.
The car was started in June 2012 for the first time in over a decade. recorded for posterity in a Utube video starring the “Three Loons” from Keynsham. Engine parts and fittings are easy to get because they are TR4 by the way.
2. Clutch – new clutch and yoke arm. This now works beautifully and clutch control is superb
3. Wheels and Brakes. All wheels off. reconditioned brake cylinders and new brake shoe springs (specially made) where needed. New wheel bearings – she rolls very easily now
4. Windscreen- the most problematical by far as a new windscreen had to be specially made and the brass frame removed and repaired. This has all been done and the original triple wiper units can be seen on the screen in the photos.
5. New V5 from DVLA. The car has its original number plates (KUC 487) and was declared manufactured 1949.
So now she is running and can be moved anywhere. Although she no longer requires MOT for tax to be on the road. I would NOT allow anyone to drive it away!!!
I can summarise the present condition best as follows
(A) “GOOD BITS”
· The car is 99% complete (one door handle missing and a few small bits but not much).
· Bodywork and chassis/running gear all original and sound. No body rust- aluminium.
· Engine/gearbox/clutch/axle/brakes/running gear all fine. Although the engine/gearbox are not original. they are Triumph and more practical than the originals
· Many the original fitments (eg “Windtone horns. rear windscreen. tripe wipers etc etc)
· Doors/windows/frames etc are all complete and working
· Complete spare wheel/starting handle(about 3ft long!!!) etc
(B) “BAD BITS”
· Non original bumpers and some other fittings (eg dashboard and some instruments)
· Ideally needs complete body respray and new door rubbers etc
· Bonnet hinges are seized(bonnet will not fold up properly)- need dismantling
· Hood is moth eaten and needs complete replacement
· Interior- front seats are OK . ut dickey seats and carpets need retrimming
Please telephone me on 0117 9671030 or mobile 07527242859 for more information or for an appointment to inspect before the bidding ends. Questions via Ebay will be answered and posted. Please remember this vehicle is 64 years old and is sold only as a Restoration Project. I have done my best to describe it accurately. but inspection buy potential buyers is definitely recommended and welcome by appointment only please.
The vehicle is stored at my friend's garage in Keynsham. Bristol. where the work has been done so far which is close to the A 4174 Ring Road “Hick's Gate” Roundabout. The buyer must arrange collection and transportation etc . but people will be available to assist loading it.
The car is not advertised elsewhere and will be sold to the highest bidder once the Reserve price has been met. Genuine bidders and enthusiasts only please. Cash on collection or bank transfer prior to collection only and the winner must contact me immediately at close of bidding and deposit must be paid within 24 hours unless by prior arrangement. Usual Ebay rules apply and in order to discourage time-wasters I have put a high starting price
Overseas bidders welcome and as you will see from my record I have sold several cars previously to people in Germany. Belgium. Holland and Croatia.
PS Pictures were taken yesterday 12th April during rainstorm. Despite having the bonnet off she started again fine afterwards!
Also published at eBay.co.uk
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Triumph cars offered via internet auctions:
price: $US $5,350.001968 Triumph Other
price: $US $3,150.001980 Triumph Spitfire
price: £5,250.00triumph stag with over drive WILL PX WHY
price: $6,100.00Triumph : Spitfire Roadster
|1959 Triumph TR3||4||$35,995.00|
|1972 Triumph Spitfire||4||$11,995.00|
|1963 Triumph TR4||4||$14,995.00|
|1972 Triumph TR-6||4||$12,995.00|
|1961 Triumph TR3||21||$31,950.00|
|1974 Triumph TR-6||21||$18,900.00|
|1979 Triumph Spitfire --||21||$8,950.00|
|1976 Triumph Spitfire||10||$4,800.00|
|1975 Triumph TR-6||5||$18,000.00|
|1979 Triumph Other TR7||16||$11,000.00|
|1974 Triumph TR-6 TR-6||1||$8,900.00|
|1971 Triumph TR-6||12||$US $5,000.00|
|1968 Triumph TR 250 TR 250||9||$US $38,350.00|
|1973 Triumph Other||15||$US $1,800.00|
|1976 Triumph TR 7||7||$US $500.00|
|1970 Triumph TR-6||13||$US $6,500.00|
|1976 Triumph TR-6||18||$US $3,500.00|
|1972 Triumph TR-6||12||$US $6,900.00|
|1969 Triumph TR-6 --||21||$US $202.50|
|1975 Triumph TR-6||16||$US $4,300.00|