2 PREVIOUS OWNERS, MECHANICAL RESTO. <20K MILES AGO!
Sale price: $12,600.00 make an offer
Sale type: Fixed price listing
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Transmission:||C4 Automatic & Shift Kit|
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
2 PREVIOUS OWNERS, MECHANICAL RESTO. <20K MILES AGO! for sale
Current customer rating: (205 votes) based on
Rare "California Special"
1968 Ford Mustang - "California Special"
1968 Ford Mustang GT/CS "California Special" Survivor
Shelby-Inspired Rare Limited Edition-One of Only 4. 18 Produced
Born. Raised and Remained in California Its Entire Life
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model. considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However. we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However. if you are not prepared to read the full listing. please read the OVERVIEW below along with the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer. please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Mustang and answer any questions over the telephone. including our "Buy it Now" policy. Yes. the Mustang can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR. ENGINE. UNDERCARRIAGE. ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS MUSTANG. BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO. YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM. PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF EBAY POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MUSTANG. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP" OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and. unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment. you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 20+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with nearly 800 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly.
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality. suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed. bonded (for the financial transaction). fully insured. and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers. and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again. please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle. Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
OVERVIEW-THIS PARTICULAR 1968 FORD MUSTANG GT/CS
This 1968 Ford Mustang GT/CS "California Special" is a true California "survivor" with matching numbers. no body modifications. and a few tasteful mechanical upgrades. As one of only 4. 18 produced. it truly stands out among the many second generation Mustangs. It is a good driver/cruiser and can be proudly shown at car shows. Major features are:
- Numbers correct 289 V8 w/ 4 barrel carburetor
- C-4 Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic transmission
- 3. 25 ratio Posi-traction rear end
- Power disc brakes
- Power steering
- Engine dress-up items
- Headers and 2 ½ inch dual exhaust
- Mach 1 style wheels w/ brand new (< 200 miles) BFG Radial T/A tires
- New battery
- Factory correct Wimbledon white paint
- Excellent all black interior w/ bucket seats
- After-market console (removable If so desired)
- After-market tachometer (discreetly mounted on left side dash/window pillar)
- Modern AM/FM CD stereo w/ large amplifier
- After-market alarm system
- All California Special features in place
- Included Marti Auto Works and "Code Cracker" reports
- Included receipts for upgrades/maintenance
- Includes most original parts removed
DETAILS-THIS PARTICULAR 1968 FORD MUSTANG GT/CScenter>INTERIOR
- Black seats. black door panels. black headliner. and black carpet all excellent
- Black dash pad good with no cracks. a few very small bubbles
- Attractive after-market black console installed between front bucket seats
- After-market wood rim steering wheel
- Four black floor mats w/ Pony logos on front pair
- Shiny Ford logo sill plates
- Day/night rear view mirror
- All stock gauges plus an after-market tachometer installed neatly on the left side of dash
- JVC 180 watt KD S6250 AM/FM CD stereo radio w/ detachable face
- Two large package shelf speakers
- Trunk-mounted Power Acoustik MT-400-2 400 watt max amplifier
- Fully functional key chain remote after-market alarm system
- Factory 3-point front seat belts and 2-point rear seat belts
- Solid trunk w/ proper pattern mat
The white paint is excellent. very high gloss with no signs of partial re-painting or major touch-up. The condition of the paint is so good. it is difficult to imagine that it is either not original or that the car has not received a complete high quality repaint in the factory correct color. However. there are virtually no signs of over-spray or suggestions that the car has received anything but the highest level of repaint (including the apparent replacement of "graphics").
The body of the Mustang is extremely solid with excellent hood. trunk and door fitment. There are no signs of major damage with the bumpers and trim remaining in excellent condition. While there are no signs of rust in the floors. trunk. engine bay or other common areas. there are a few characteristic areas of surface rust. Specifically. there are two very small "hot spots" (bubbles) under the paint fore and aft of the left rear wheel well. The bottom of the right A pillar also shows some flaking and there is a small imperfection on the roof in addition to a small ding from a dropped umbrella. All chrome and stainless trim is quite nice. free from major imperfections and falls in the category of what we often term as "California Quality. " All factory badging is in place including the unique. limited edition "California Special" emblems and graphics.
The underside of the car is not only "rust free" but exceptionally dry and straight for a 46 year old Mustang. While the photos reflect a certain amount of California "patina". knowledgeable buyers will appreciate its overall cleanliness and apparent upgrades including improved exhaust. shock absorbers. front end rebuild. C4 transmission rebuilt (with shift kit) and totally solid floors. trunk and rocker panels.
The all-black interior is in very fine condition. showing very little wear. Much of it was replaced by the current owner and a few enhancements (center console. discreetly mounted tachometer and significantly improved radio / speakers) add to the cars "creature comforts. " The trunk floor is very solid. free of significant rust and the trunk has a proper pattern mat. factory wheel. older tire and proper factory jack. An aftermarket "Ford" bag is included (shown in photos) and could be used for extra tools. oil. etc. (not included).
The engine compartment is highly detailed and has considerable eye appeal as a result of some chrome treatment including: chrome valve covers. chrome air cleaner. chrome engine support brace. chrome alternator and other components. Also adding to the appearance of the engine bay are the high quality high performance components (original parts included) along with some trim items (colored wire looms etc. ) that add a certain flare under the hood.
The current odometer reading is 51. 40 miles. Total mileage as stated by the cars current owner is 151. 40 miles but. as a result of the vintage of the vehicle we are listing the car as TMU (Total Mileage Unknown). However. based on the cars overall condition and the care that it has received over the years. the car has the appearance of a collectible vehicle with 51. xx miles.
Overall. this GT/CS is a very presentable car that can be proudly cruised and taken to car shows and appreciated by a wide range of enthusiasts and Mustang aficionados. The extensive photographs accurately reflect the car's condition including the body. paint. engine compartment. interior and underside.
- Clear California title with current registration
- California vanity plates "GT BRAT" are being retained by the current owner
- California smog test not required for vehicles 1975 and older
- Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers. turn signals. lights. brakes. etc. Note: The only identified issue was leaking rear wheel cylinders and aging brake lines. These have been changed and the car received a complete brake bleed and brake adjustment.
- Most of the original parts that have been upgraded have been kept and will be provided with the car including the following (As shown in the photos)
- Wheels mounted on tires (tires should not be used based on their age)
- Steering wheel
- Manifold & stock carburetor
- Stock valve cover
- Stock manifolds
- Additional distributor
A DRIVE IN THE MUSTANG
From the first turn of the key. it becomes obvious that this Mustang has been well maintained over the years. It is also apparent that this particular "California Special" has received some performance upgrades that give it a throaty but not offensive exhaust note. An inspection of the car from underneath reveals a quality. custom 2 1/2" exhaust system. headers and the proper (after the transmission to allow access to the transmission) cross-over pipe.
Once underway. we notice that the Mustang shifts firmly as a result of the relatively recent transmission rebuild and the addition of a shift kit. As we accelerate the car responds and is smooth and responsive. As we gain speed and put the car into passing gear we are convinced that the claim of 325hp from the well-built engine is certainly believable. The transmission and rear end seem to be very well matched resulting in an excellent combination of both higher performance "low end" driving and highway cruising.
The car runs cool even in our triple digit Northern California temperatures and starts easily after being stored for some time. The Mustang is fitted with a quality set of tires that were added as a result of tires that were not worn out but had older date codes. This type of proactive action is an indication of the owner's desire to ensure that the "California Special" is maintained to a high standard.
The brakes respond very well stopping the car straight and sure and. during our return trip we are able to use the headlights. turn signals. radio and test the wipers. All of the electrical functions are fully operational and those who enjoy listening to music as opposed to the wonderful exhaust note!) will be pleased with the quality of the sound system.
The Mustang "California Special" driving experience brings us back to another era but is enhanced by the cars safety. performance and mechanical improvements. It is the truly best of both worlds; a classic appearance that offers additional performance and reliability.
HISTORY OF THE 1968 FORD MUSTANG CALIFORNIA SPECIAL
In mid-February 1968. the California Ford Dealers began to market a factory-built. limited-edition Mustang. called the GT/CS. or "California Special". The hope was for a targeted production run of 5. 00; however. only 4118 were made. Production ran for only 5. 5 months from mid-February 1968 to early August 1968. Today. classic car collectors consider these cars to be very desirable.
The marketing theme for this limited edition was "California Made it Happen!". a variation on Mustang's national marketing theme and commercial jingle. "Only Mustang Makes it Happen!" This was all in response to the new pony car competition for the upcoming 1968 model year from the Camaro. Firebird. Javelin. and even from Ford's Torino and Mercury Cougar. The state of California. alone. was responsible for the sales of 20% of all Mustangs and Thunderbirds in the country. which gave the regional dealers there the clout to ask for and market their own Mustang.
Lee Grey. Southern California district sales manager for Ford. was looking for something unique to spark the sales of Mustangs in Los Angeles. The objective was to make the Mustangs sold in California unique and to look "custom" made. thus differentiating them from the standard models available elsewhere.
Mr. Grey attended the Ford Preview event for the new 1968 Fords at the Los Angeles Coliseum in August 1967. where he saw a Shelby GT-500 prototype coupe nicknamed "Little Red". This coupe was dressed up in bright red paint and a vinyl roof. as a formal. yet high-performance vehicle. Mr. Grey saw this as an opportunity to use the elements of this prototype to market his "California-Only Mustang". He met with Lee Iacocca in L. A. . and the decision was made to bring the car to Dearborn to develop into a limited edition Mustang. First. it was known as the "GT/SC". as a nationally available Sport Coupe. then. after some discussion. developed as the GT/CS. Shelby Automotive. now part of Ford. was assigned the task of designing and engineering the necessary parts and assembly procedures for the GT/CS.
The Mustang GT/CS features included: Marchal or Lucas Fog Lights. twist-type DZUS hood pins. side scoops. pop-open gas cap. rear spoiler deck lid with end caps. and taillight panel with 1965 Thunderbird taillights (non sequential). Side stripes with the "GT/CS" die-cut logo. along with a rear deck lid stripe were included. and were available in white. black. red. and metallic medium blue. It was available in all standard Mustang colors for 1968 and all Ford engine and transmission combinations.
Most produced had the small-block 289 two-barrel carburetor with C-4 automatic transmission. All regular production factory and dealer options for 1968 Mustang coupes were also available for the GT/CS. other than options that would conflict with the GT/CS package. such as fog lights or C-stripes. The GT option package was available on the GT/CS so some. but not all. GT/CSs are also GTs. The "GT" in GT/CS has nothing to do with the GT package.
The most prized versions are the big-block 390 and Cobra Jet 428 versions. of which only a handful were made. The GT/CS has become one of the most owner-appreciated classic Mustangs. since it has both the qualities of a Shelby GT and a Mustang coupe. Its uniqueness and rarity draws great attention on the road and at car shows.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always. we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including. but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior. exterior. top. chrome. etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance. licensing by the state. and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action. grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources. transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same. small. California town for over 20 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar". indoor showroom. and specialize in the sale. consignment. and purchase of sports. high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local. private owners and collectors. and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars. with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally. and around the country. As a result. we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales. such as wholesale auctions. salvage sales. or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles. or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique. classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay. or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate. complete. and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers. terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 780 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured. bonded. and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50. 00 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers. and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles. we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle). thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle. California buyers will be subject
to sales tax. a documentation fee. DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads. sales-tax. license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also. if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives. etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Mustang by serious. qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However. we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles. and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback. standing in the community. length of time in business. and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips. nicks. scratches. etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration. or even a relatively new. used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also. ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles. these cars require regular. ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge. patience. and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said. collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but. in some instances. has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result. we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Thank you. br />
Classic Cars Ltd.
Body Type / Style:Coupe Exterior Color:Wimbledon White Interior Color:Black Engine:V8 Transmission: C4 Automatic (Floor) Mileage:Brand New! Drive:Rear Doors:2
3-Point Seat Belts
California Lic & Reg
Clean California Body
Dual Side Mirrors
Exempt from CA Smog
Factory Padded Dash
Front Disc Brakes
Front Sway Bar
Front Sway Bar
Heater / Defroster
Local California "Survivor"
Original Jack & Tools
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Frt. & Rear)
Deleivered New and Never Left CA.
Shelby Inspired "California Special"
One of 4. 18 Produced Lights
Was a Black Plate CA. Car
Beautiful CA. Trim
Lovely "California Special" Options
Magnum Wheels (Orig. Included)
Factory Hood "Pins"
Very Nice Panel Fit
Factory Correct / Excellent Stripes
Correct Factory Emblems
Factory T Bird Lights!
GT Gas Cap
Says it All!
Excellent Original GLass
Nice Chrome Trim
No Damage Glass
Stainless Whield Wipers
Nice Factory Mirrors
Passenger Side Mirror
Close - California Special
Left Side - Front to Rear
Right Side - Front to Rear
Right Side - Rear to Front
Plate NOT Included
Replaced Original Black Plate
Original Wheels Included
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Bond cars offered via internet auctions:
price: $9,900.001979 Chevrolet Corvette Corvette Stingray
price: $US $1,195.001970 Ford Fairlane
price: $US $25,700.001963 Chevrolet Corvette #S MATCHING 327/300HP 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE
price: $15,125.001968 Chevrolet C-10 truck 4x4 chevy gmc c10 silverado sierra swb k1500