1970 CHEVELLE SS396 & TH400 - RESTORED NUMBERS MATCHING WITH BUILD SHEET & OPTS!
Sale price: $34,000.00 make an offer
Sale type: Fixed price listing
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Color:||Fathom Blue Metallic|
|Trim:||2 Door Sport Coupe|
|Interior Color:||Black Bucket Seats / Console|
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
1970 CHEVELLE SS396 & TH400 - RESTORED NUMBERS MATCHING WITH BUILD SHEET & OPTS! for sale
Current customer rating: (131 votes) based on
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396
Factory SS396 Numbers Correct - Documented with Build Sheet!
Beautifully Restored. Great Color / TH400 3-Speed Automatic / Posi
Arguably one of the "Best of the Best" in Late 1960's / Early 1970's Muscle Cars
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECIEVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR. ENGINE. UNDERCARRIAGE. ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THE "SS396" BUT. WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO. YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM. PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF EBAY POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING
CLASSIC CARS LTD.
(925) 846 1451
INTRODUCTION TO CLASSIC CARS LTD. EBAY AUCTIONS
Thank you for visiting our eBay auction. We appreciate your interest in the Chevelle and feel that it is important that we provide some basic information relative to our business philosophy and utilization of eBay to offer our collectible & classic vehicles to a worldwide audience.
For close to 20 years. Classic Cars Ltd. has operated a "brick & mortar" showroom located in Pleasanton. CA. just outside of San Francisco California. We have sold hundreds of unique. classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers who have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically. and monetarily!) item on eBay. or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate. complete. and thorough vehicle descriptions.
While we have had comments about the length of our narrative on each vehicle. most serious buyers appreciate the detailed photographs and descriptions and believe that "more is better. " However. if you are looking for a brief summary of the vehicle. please view the photographs and scroll to the very bottom of the listing where you will find a summary of the car for sale including; Make. model. mileage. specifications. etc.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly.
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality. suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed. bonded (for the financial transaction). fully insured. and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers. and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again. please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle. Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
THIS PARTICULAR 1970 CHEVELLE SS396
Simply stated. this SS396 is an absolutely striking example of the desirable 1970 SS396. Not only has it been beautifully restored in its correct factory produced color of Fathom Blue Metallic (GM Code #28) it also retains the documented (on the actual "tank sticker") factory correct black interior and black vinyl top. The Chevelle remains in virtually stock appearance down to the original style Rally wheels and Goodyear tires. The car shows like it would have shortly after leaving the KC production plant. Every effort has been made to restore the car to its original appearance and only a few minor changes (including the addition of an improved radio) have been added. The car still has all of its factory options along with the addition of power steering for improved ease of drivability. The Chevelle was. in its day. and remains an absolutely classic "muscle Car" with serious "no frills" high performance and exceptional good looks.
While we see a number of "Numbers Matching" cars and restored examples but we rarely see a car that has its original "Build Sheet" (Often referred to as the "tank sticker) as it was generally placed there after the manufacture of the car. Also unusual is the cars excellent. documented history. The cars numbers (engine & trim plate) document it as being correct SS car with a factory 396c. i. (refer to the detailed breakdown of the "Numbers" later in this write-up). The Chevelle retains many of its original mechanical components and is a beautifully restored example of a rare SS396.
FEATURES - 1970 CHEVELLE SS396
Specifically. the car is equipped as follows:
- "CTW" numbers correct 396c. i. block (Codes to 396c. i. 4bbl & automatic transmission)
- Factory TH 400 transmission
- Factory Posi-traction
- Rally wheels
- Goodyear Eagle ST Radial Tires
- Factory AM radio (not functional)
- Nicely installed quality aftermarket AM/FM CD under dash (plays through nicely mounted rear package flush mounted shelf speakers)
- Highly detailed engine bay in original configuration
- Trunk detailed & includes wheel / jack & tools & trunk mat
- We regularly see Chevelles that have been modified. abused and mistreated over the years but this car has been adult owned and cared for. and it shows. Not only is it cosmetically excellent but it represents a car that can be used and enjoyed for any number of reasons ranging from cruising to full blown shows.
We feel that it is important to decode the significant production numbers. particularly on a high end restoration like this Chevelle. Please let us know if we can clarify any of the decoding or provide additional information.
The trim tag on the Chevelle decodes as follows: (Note We were unable to get clear photos of the trim tag but the VIN and trim tag numbers are decoded below (a copy of the build sheet can also be made available to serious buyers):
VIN #: 1 / 3 / 6/ / 37 / 0 / K / 149364 (136370K149364)
Number in VIN Significance
1 = Chevrolet
3 = Chevelle
6 = 8 cylinder (round #s = V8)
37 = 2 Dr. Sport Coupe
0 = 1970 Model Year
K = KC GM Plant
149364 = Series # (for tracking the vehicle in the factory)
TRIM TAG DETAILS
70 = Vehicle Year
01A Produced 1st month (01) First week (A)
13637 = 2 Dr. Sport Coupe
755 Black Interior
28 = Body color: Blue metallic
B = Black vinyl top
KAN = Production location
542662 = Body number
TI 290 CTW Pad # on front right of engine decoded as:
TI Engine Built at Tonawanda plant
1290 Engine built Dec. (12th month) in "10" (1970)
CTW Suffix 396c. i. / 4bbl / Automatic
IMPORTANT NOTE: THE PRODUCTION DATE OF THE VEHICLE (FIRST WEEK OF JANUARY) AND AN ENGINE BUILD DATE OF DECEMBER ARE CONSISTENT WITH GM PRODUCTION TIMING / SCHEDULES FOR THIS ERA
CONDITION SUMMARY - 1970 CHEVELLE
The car underwent a lovely restoration with the goal of retaining its original factory appearance while refurbishing / restoring virtually every component. The car was disassembled and. with virtually all of the parts removed from the Chevelle. components were rebuilt / restored or replaced with NOS (New Old Stock) parts where possible. Of course. some of the rubber trim. interior pieces and other "soft items" were sourced from new. quality manufacturers. It is very important to note that. unlike many garage "restorations" this Chevelle has the appearance of a proper restoration. not a garage project that lacks quality and attention to detail. As we often times say: "The Devil is in the Details" and this Chevelle shows extremely well in every area including paint. body. interior. engine bay and even the trunk area. True Chevelle enthusiasts will appreciate the difference and the value of a correct and proper restoration. especially on a rare original SS396 like this documented Chevelle.
Mechanically. the car is very strong and drives exceptionally well. The undercarriage is dry and there are no major leaks in the engine or drive-line. The cars "big block" does not disappoint delivering the kind of performance and torque that is unique to the big V8's of the 1960's and 1970's. The owner reports that at the time of his purchase the cars entire engine and driveline were rebuilt and inspected to ensure reliability and solid performance. There is certainly no indication to the contrary.
Within the previous 1. 00 miles the Chevelle has received the following maintenance and replacement items (improvements) as a result of being used on a limited basis for shows and cruises during the past few years:
- Complete major tune-up (new plugs. points. distributor cap. spark plugs. wires. condenser
- New battery cable ends
- Complete carburetor overhaul
- New upper and lower ball joints and control arm bushings
- New sway bar frame mount bushings and end links
- New tie rod ends (all)
- New brake hoses and complete brake bleed
It is important to emphasize that the owner of the Chevelle is very particular about his vehicles and maintains them on a "cost no object" basis to ensure reliability and to protect his investment in collectible vehicles.
The Chevelle passed the California required safety inspection and has completely functional lighting systems. It is smog exempt as a 1970 model year (any vehicle older than 1975 does not require a smog inspection in California).
Of course at the time of the restoration. the Chevelle received new rubber trim. aluminum stainless trim as needed (either re-done or replaced) and engine fittings. clamps. etc. Wheels were restored and new tires installed. All areas of the car (engine bay. undercarriage. trunk and interior) were detailed.
In addition to being a beautifully restored car. this car will appeal to the muscle car / Chevelle enthusiast whose interests are more performance oriented. In the most positive sense. this car epitomizes the no frills. higher performance 60's muscle cars that were not weighted down with heavy unnecessary options. After all. performance was the name of the 60's and. in our humble opinion; this Chevelle has just the right options (or more accurately lack of options!).
Specifically. the following optional equipment was added to the car when it was built and all of these items remain on the car at this time and through the restoration (Codes & options taken directly from the "Build Sheet")
- B22 - DR SS Emblems (Door Panel SS emblems)
- L34 396 c. i. 4bbl engine
- M40 3-speed auto transmission
- F41- Special performance suspension
- J50 - Vacuum power brakes
- JL2 - Power disc brakes
- G94 - Posi-traction rear axle
- PL4 - F70 x 14" BW (black wall)
- 880 - Roof Drip Molding
- B96 - Wheel House Molds
- C08 - Vinyl top
- U27 - Glove box light
- C24 - Recessed Park wipers
- C56 Upper level vent
- U76 - W/S antenna
- U63 - AM radio
Note: Build Sheet shows "Customer Order" (No price on build sheet)
Also. we will gladly provide a PDF copy of the build sheet to those who have an interest in seeing further detail. As Chevrolet experts know. the build sheet shows incredible detail of every option code. dates of production. delivery information and specifics of every aspect of the cars production at the GM factory. It is entirely too extensive to outline in this narrative.
EXTERIOR PAINT / BODY / TOP
- Complete cosmetic restoration completed to a high standard
- Very high quality re-spray in the factory correct / original color of Fathom Blue Metallic (Factory code 28). One of our favorites!
- Correct SS396 exterior trim
- Proper vinyl top (as shown on trim tag)
- New vinyl top in black (as per original build specification)
- Very nice "California clean" chassis and other suspension components
- Excellent panel gaps / fit
- Straight damage free undercarriage - no indications of repairs / damage or replacement
- Excellent exterior trim
- Driver's side factory mirrors
- Chrome wheel moldings
- Beautiful chrome bumpers
- Restored Rally wheels
- Excellent glass & trim
- Functional locks including trunk
- Factory bucket seat / console car - TH 400 car
- Beautiful upholstery (front & back)
- Very stock interior
- GM seat belts & factory harnesses
- Original non-functioning AM radio
- Correct OEM antenna
- Excellent carpet
- No dash cracks or damage
- Like new headliner
- All windows operate perfectly
ENGINE / DRIVE-LINE / WHEELS & TIRES
- 396c. i. / 350 hp - 4bbl (Please refer to "Numbers" for details)
- M40 3-Speed Automatic (Factory)
- Posi-traction rear end
- Proper lettered Goodyear Tires
- Dual exit exhaust system (as factory equipped)
- Detailed engine bay
- VERY strong running / driving "Big Block" Chevelle
HISTORY - 1970 CHEVELLE SS396
We must admit that. personally. we think the SS396 Chevelle is one of the cars that epitomizes the muscle car era of the 1960's & 1970's. The Chevelle (a mid-size in its day) was a comfortable car that provided great performance and very good handling. especially when equipped with the upgraded suspension package. The styling is classic muscle car and the cars big block represented the ultimate powerhouse for GM's mid-sized line-up. Few cars could rival the power of the "SS" and the 1970 Chevelle has become one of the most respected and highly collected muscle cars of all time.
The Chevrolet Chevelle was a mid-sized automobile (in its day) produced by the Chevrolet division of General Motors in three generations for the 1964 through 1977 model years. Part of the GM A-Body platform. the Chevelle was one of Chevrolet's most successful nameplates. Body styles include coupes. sedans. convertibles and station wagons. Super Sport versions were produced through the 1973 model year. Many believe the 1970 Chevelle represents one of the most collectible and desirable Chevelles of the mid 1960's / early 1970's and epitomizes the Muscle Car era.
In 1970. sheet metal revisions gave the bodies a more squared-up stance and interiors were redesigned. too. The 1970 Chevelle came in sport coupe. sport sedan. convertible. four-door sedan. a couple of wagons. and coupé utility (the El Camino) body styles. Only 3 of these (Malibu sport coupe. Malibu convertible and El Camino pickup) were available with a 2 SS options including the 396 (402cid) engines. The SS options were limited to the Malibu 2-door sport coupe. Malibu convertible and El Camino pickup.
There is a bit of engine confusion for 1970. The venerable 396 received a +. 030 bore to bring it to 402 cubic inches. Chevrolet was already heavily invested in the SS396 mystique so this slightly larger engine was still referred to as a "396. " Why the 396 was bored to 402 isn't exactly known although there are plenty of thoughts on the subject. The one I would conform to is there were different emissions regulations for engines over 400 cubic inches than there were for engines under 400 cubic inches and this was an easy way out for Chevrolet without having to design a new Mark-IV engine and still have two engine sizes for SS Chevelles.
The SS396 Chevelle included a 350 horsepower (260 kW) Turbo-Jet 396 V8. special suspension. "power dome" hood. black-accented grille. resilient rear-bumper insert. and wide-oval tires on sport wheels. Though a 375 horsepower (280 kW) cowl induction version was available. very few were sold. In factory stock trim there were reports of the 396 SS Chevelles turning d 12~ second times with speeds in excess of 100 mph for the quarter mile. Very impressive for the day and considering the times were recorded using stock tires and pump fuel.
"You can make our tough one even tougher. the Chevrolet brochure explained. by adding options to the SS396. In the 1960's / 1970's many cars were special ordered and the factory available options including a wide range of performance comfort and convenience items.
LICENSE / REGISTRATION / INSPECTION
- Currently licensed & registered in California (Clear title)
- Passed recent California safety inspection (proper lights. turn signals. etc. )
- No smog required in California (vehicles 1975 and older are exempt)
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- We have a number of additional. detailed photographs but are only able to show 100~ on our listings. Please let us know if we can provide additional detailed photos of any part of the Chevelle.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers. terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles. we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle). thanks in large part to the Internet!
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle. California buyers will be subject
to sales tax. documentation fee. DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads. sales-tax. license registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also. if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives. etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However. we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles. and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback. standing in the community. length of time in business. and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Please keep in mind that minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips. nicks. scratches. etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration. or even a relatively new. used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also. ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles. these cars require regular. ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge. patience. and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said. collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but. in some instances. has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result. we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always. we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector car being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including. but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior. exterior. top. chrome. etc. or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance. licensing by the state. and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action. grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources. transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same. small. California town for over 20 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar". indoor showroom. and specialize in the sale. consignment. and purchase of sports. high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local. private owners and collectors. and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars. with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally. and around the country. As a result. we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales. such as wholesale auctions. salvage sales. or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles. or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 780~ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured. bonded. and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50. 00 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers. and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
Thank you. br />
Classic Cars Ltd.
Body Type / Style:Coupe Exterior Color:Fathom Blue Metallic Interior Color:Black Engine:V8 Transmission: Automatic Mileage:75675 Drive:Rear Doors:2
Factory AM Radio
Factory Console / Automatic
Factory Seat Belts
Front Disc Brakes
Front Rubber Mats
Front Sway Bar
Rear Seat Belts
Runs / Drives Very Well
Terms & Conditions
Buyers outside of California will be responsible for a $195. 00 fee for processing/administration. The charge will apply if the vehicle is purchased through ebay or before or after the auction. directly through Classic Cars Ltd.
The vehicle is listed for sale elsewhere. We reserve the right to end the auction at anytime. We will be glad to discuss details of a "pre-auction" purchase (925) 846 1451.
Inspections of vehicles are encouraged but (by appointment only) must be completed within 24 hours of the end of the auction.
Out of state buyers are responsible for the high bid and any shipping costs. California buyers are subject to the appropriate sales tax. DMV transfer. and fees associated with the purchase of any used vehicle sale in the state of California.
We mail. via Priority Mail. transferable documents within 48 hours of the transfer of funds to out of State buyers.
While shipping and transportation costs (if appropriate) are the responsibility of the winning bidder. we can assist with locating a suitable transporter. We regularly ship cars all over the USA/World. and can often times locate very competitive rates for transporting vehicles door to door. to a local terminal. enclosed. open. etc. Please call us for specific information/rates to your location.
We meet some great people and fellow enthusiasts. and only rarely do we have problems with non-paying bidders. Please be certain that you are prepared to buy the car if you bid. or call us at 925-846-1451 before the end of the auction if we can answer any questions. If you have a "sunglass" rating or fewer than 10 feedback ratings on eBay. please call us before you bid so that we can discuss the bidding process. etc. If we do not hear from you. we reserve the right to delete your bid.
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd.
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Humber cars offered via internet auctions:
price: £6,750.00Classic/Vintage Car Humber Twelve 1935 four door saloon AYD 150
price: $800.001963 Humber Super Snipe Auto in Werribee, VIC
price: $35,000.001950 Hummer H1
price: $60,000.001989 Hummer H1
|1924 Other Makes||12||$33,250.00|
|1924 Other Makes||12||$22,500.00|
|1924 Other Makes||12||$22,500.00|
|1964 Other Makes SUPER SNIPE||21||$2,500.00|
|1962 Other Makes SUPER SNIPE||21||$4,000.00|
|1964 Other Makes SUPER SNIPE||21||$3,000.00|
|1900 Hummer H1||12||$15,000.00|
|1989 Hummer H1 M998||12||$36,999.00|
|1979 Replica/Kit Makes Hummer Replica Humvee Replica||15||$US $10,000.00|
|1900 Hummer H1 M998||18||$US $10,200.00|
|1980 Hummer H1 2 Door truck||12||$15,000.00|
|1971 Replica/Kit Makes HUMMBUG HUMMER||21||$11,500.00|
|1900 Hummer H1 H1||11||$US $15,100.00|
|1980 Hummer H1 M998||18||$US $9,800.00|
|1971 Replica/Kit Makes HUMMBUG HUMMER||21||$11,900.00|
|1989 Hummer H1||12||$US $10,000.00|
|1961 HUMBER SNIPE ESTATE DARK BLUE /WHITE||12||£12,000.00|
|1974 Humber Sceptre Mk3 1725, Overdrive, 27000 miles from new. MOT Jan 2017||12||£6,950.00|
|humber imperial last owner for 30 years||8||£4,995.00|
|1600cc Humber Sceptre Series 1 1964||12||£4,395.00|