1985 LOTUS EXCEL SE BLUE FABTASTIC CAR VERY WELL LOOKED AFTER,
Sale price: £3,750.00 make an offer
Last update: 05.07.2013
Car location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United KingdomSeller's notes: VERY RECENT TOTAL REFRESH, RECENT ENGINE REBUILD, BRAKES REBUILD, LEATHER RE-TRIM, NEW TYRES, BRAKES REBUILT ETC ETC
Sale type: Fixed price listing
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Drive side:||Right-hand drive|
|Safety Features:||Immobiliser, Rear seat belts|
|Exterior:||Alloy Wheels, Rear Spoiler|
|Interior/Comfort Options:||Leather Seats, Power Windows, Tilt Steering Wheel|
|In-Car Audio:||Cassette Player|
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
1985 LOTUS EXCEL SE BLUE FABTASTIC CAR VERY WELL LOOKED AFTER, for sale
Current customer rating: (191 votes) based on
This Excel was owned by the previous owner since the mid 90's. he removed it from the road in 2002 to embark on a complete overhaul. I bought the car early last year from the same owner who had been unable to complete the work due to illness.
Having finished the car and driven over 1000 trouble free. thoroughly enjoyable miles.
The car has the most fantastic service history right from the late 80's to present day. The invoices are bound in a folder which is more than 2 inches thick! The previous owners and myself have taken the time to catalogue all invoices onto printed excel spreadsheets (3 pages worth). These show the car was supplied by Supersprint cars Lotus specialist in the 90's.
When I bought the car the previous owner had done the following during the 10 year period (stored in his garage at all times).
• Engine rebuild at 85'000 miles including piston rings. valves seated etc etc. further strip down at 99'000 miles to rectify a rear main oil seal leak whilst clutch was being fitted
• £1800 spent on interior re trim in blue leather and new headlining
• Rebuilt front callipers with stainless pistons
• New tyres. new cambelt
• New seatbelt mounting plates
• New clutch
• Brand new windscreen fitted (they go milky with age around the edges)
This is a much shortened list of work carried out highlighting the main bits only. I am happy to discuss this and further work on the phone to anyone. It's had documented oil changes from new every 4 – 6 thousand miles. new radiator and loads of other bits also.
I bought the car earlier this year and immediately set to work carrying out the following:
• New tyres all round Falken FK252 (old ones were as new but had gone hard due to standing and I don't like to trust in old tyres!)
• Fit new cambelt. tensioner. fresh Valvoline VR1 oil and filter. new airfilter. fresh coolant and flush old coolant out.
• New fuel lines in engine bay to replace brittle hard old ones.
• Replace seal in power steering rack to cure leak
• Fit new brake pads and discs all round.
• Rebuild rear callipers with new seals and clean and paint
• Fit new handbrake cable due to old one snapping on MOT test!
• Fresh brake fluid throughout
• Fit polybush front ARB bushes to replaced perished old items. replace steering rack boots on both sides. tracking setup after this was done
• Fit new engine cooling fan due to one fan seizing previously. (both are run on a Kenlowe sensor to avoid issues with the notoriously unreliable standard heat switch)
• Fit new passenger side electric window motor as old one had failed.
• Fit all new exhaust rubbers as old ones looked a little old and perished.
• Carb's were setup at Chris Foulds Lotus in Huddersfield who was most complementary about the car.
• New washer pump. wiper and jets.
• Replace perished coolant hoses
• New gearbox and diff oil
• New flexi joint in exhaust to replace split old item.
• New drive belts
There is no doubt loads more I have forgotten! Everything is documented with receipts kept. I have the original and valuable Lotus workshop manual also as well as an original brochure.
This car is now ready to go and could be used on an Alpine blast tomorrow! Or even used as a daily driver. It needs no work mechanically and drives beautifully.
The engine holds good oil pressure. does not smoke and sounds extremely quiet whether hot or cold. It has a slightly large bore stainless exhaust which sounds wonderful without being over the top.
It never overheats even in traffic. the fans kick in as they should. All electrics work as they should.
The Gear change is a delight. And the brakes pull straight and true (as they should being effectively totally rebuilt!)
Points to note
• The front and rear bumpers let the rest of the car down cosmetically and could do with a repaint to bring them up to the standard of the rest of the car (ready mixed paint is included) they have a few scratches on the corners.
• The aircon does not work and the pump belt has been removed.
Give me a call for a chat if you need more info.
Any inspection welcome. HPI clear
Part exchange maybe evo or post evo motocross bike
Also published at eBay.co.uk
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Lotus cars offered via internet auctions:
price: £5,500.00Citroen Light 15
price: £15,000.00FORD CORTINA MK1 1966 2 DOOR LOTUS REPLICA
price: £12,995.001990 Lotus Esprit 2.2 WITH EXTENSIVE SERVICE HISTORY - LOW MILEAGE - LOTUS PLATE
price: $13,745.001987 Lotus Esprit Turbo Coupe 2-Door 2.2L