PHOTO DOCUMENTED RESTORATION OF AN ORIGINAL CA. 80K CAR
Sale price: $15,660.00 make an offer
Pending offersDate: 2014-07-14
Tim (from France) offered 6000 gbp
Tim (from France) offered 6000 gbp
Sale type: Fixed price listing
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Transmission:||4 Speed Overdrive|
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
PHOTO DOCUMENTED RESTORATION OF AN ORIGINAL CA. 80K CAR for sale
Current customer rating: (196 votes) based on
Ground Up Restoration!
1966 MG B
Beautiful "Frame Up" Restoration "Black Plate" Original California Car
Registered in the MGB North America MGB Register 8-3574
Desirable Later MGB - Fully Syncromesh OVERDRIVE / 4-Main Bearing Engine
Finished in Highly Sought After Tartan Red w/ Black Interior and Convertible Top
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model. considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However. we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However. if you are not prepared to read the full listing. please read the OVERVIEW below along with the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer. please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the MGB and answer any questions over the telephone. including our "Buy it Now" policy. Yes. the MGB can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECIEVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR. ENGINE. UNDERCARRIAGE. ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS MGB. BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO. YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM. PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF EBAY POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MGB. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP" OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and. unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment. you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 20+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with nearly 800 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly.
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality. suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed. bonded (for the financial transaction). fully insured. and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers. and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again. please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle. Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
OVERVIEW-THIS PARTICULAR 1966 MGB
This 1966 MGB is a properly executed full restoration of a solid original car. The "B" has spent its entire life in Northern California and has had long time. limited California ownership since new. The comprehensive restoration was completed / coordinated by the cars elderly enthusiast owner who was unable to complete it as a result of medical "realities. " The car was acquired by an enthusiast with a large collection of specialty automobiles who ensured that the cars restoration was completed to a high standard.
We have seen more British sports cars over the years than we can count and can tell you that this is truly an exceptional example. Not only is the restoration extremely well done but the "B" is fitted with some of the most sought after options / upgrades including:
- Factory "steel dash" (only on cars until 1967)
- Stronger 4-main bearing engine.
- Optional / upgraded (and VERY desirable) overdrive transmission that operates in 3rd and 4th gear giving the car the equivalent of two overdrive gears (or the equivalent of a 6 speed gearbox).
- Beautifully restored wire wheels and new knock offs
- A removable padded roll bar
Nice convertible top (free from damage)
- Tonneau cover (custom fit around roll bar)
- Original speaker container & "MG" radio blank out plate (No radio or antenna)
The car was exceptionally straight prior to the restoration and the previous owner indicated that the car had no rust of panel replacement prior to the car receiving a high quality re-spray in striking Tartan red. The "before" photos support this statement. Even the underside and engine compartment appear virtually as new. The trunk contains a factory wire wheel spare. tools and a knock off hammer.
Major features include:
- 1. 8 L 4 cylinder engine w/ dual SU carburetors
- Overdrive - fully syncromesh (1st - 4th) manual transmission
- Stock. detailed engine bay
- 4 speed manual transmission
- New radial tires with beautiful factory wire wheels
- Exceptionally straight body. new or NOS "brightwork" & trim
- High quality. high gloss Tartan Red paint; free of noticeable defects
- Very nice panel fit; door . hood and trunk closure
- Beautiful chrome and exterior bright-work
- Like New quality black convertible top w/ clear windows
- Tonneau Cover (custom fit to go around roll bar)
- Padded roll bar (bolted in and removable should the new owner desire)
- 3-point safety belts (driver & passenger side)
- Factory original 2-piece top bows
- Highly detailed and correctly configured engine compartment
- Lovely black interior. dash and door panels
- Exceptionally well done "wrinkle finish" dash (even and nice "wrinkle"!)
- New carpet. dash. re-covered leather seats and door panels
- Classic replacement smaller wheel (to accommodate taller drivers and to increase cockpit area)
- Functional heater and defroster
- Carpeted trunk including spare tire w/ custom cover & factory lug wrench
- Trunk spare tire cover
- "MG" door sill covers
- MGB shop manuals included
- History of being a California delivered car in 1966!
- Photo documented restoration photos
DETAILS-THIS PARTICULAR 1966 MGB
For over 20 years. we have specialized in the sale. consignment and purchase of a wide range of sports cars with a particular personal interest in British sports cars. Occasionally we come across a British sports car that has not only been restored. but was completed under a "Cost no Object" philosophy. This MGB is one such example.
As the photos reflect. this is one of the most striking early 1960's MGBs that you will see. The cosmetic and mechanical condition is excellent. Unlike some of the cars offered for sale. this car has not just received a cosmetic "re-do". but a 100% mechanical and cosmetic restoration of a solid original car. Literally every part of this original. well maintained California car was restored from top to bottom. The MGB is truly "turn-key" and ready to drive. show. and enjoy to the fullest.
This MGB is titled as a 1966 with the car # (VIN#) of: GHN3L / 80381
Based on data from the North American MGB Register. the Car (VIN) # decodes as follows:
GHN3L / 803381
G = MG
H = Engine Type
N = Body Type (2 Seat Tourer / convertible)
3 = Series Number (3rd Series)
L = Drive (Right or Left) - Left in this case
80381 Car Production Number
- Stock 1. 8 L 4 cylinder engine w/ dual SU carburetors
- Pertronix electronic ignition upgrade
- 4 speed manual transmission w/ overdrive in 3rd & 4th (Basically a six speed!
- Stock front disc/rear drum brakes
- Highly detailed engine compartment
- No significant engine leaks/drips
- Beautiful wire wheels with new spinners
- Excellent tread (like new) tires
- Dunlop tires
- Full factory correct 14" spare wire wheel. tire. "Thor" lead hammer. factory jack & custom tire cover
- Very high quality. Tartan Red PPG paint free of noticeable defects
- Excellent fit of body panels for this era
- Both doors open and close smartly
- NO "Crack of Doom" (Characteristic door crack at the top forward part of the door)
- All bright work excellent and replated. or replaced
- Very good black convertible top and factory original two piece top bows
- All window glass excellent including wing (vent) wings
- All window felts and "rubbers' replaced
- All new door. trunk and other rubber trim and moldings
- Driver's side correct chrome mirror
- Replaced black carpeting
- Beautifully restored black dash pad and "wrinkle finish" dash board
- Lovely black door panels
- New seat upholstery
- All new door felts. rubbers. etc.
- Shiny sill plates w/ MG logo
- Full set of restored stock factory analog gauges
- Beautiful 3-spoke wheel
- Functional Heater/defroster
- Original speaker box (no speaker or antenna( MG is not fitted with a radio)
- Damage free. clear windshield
- Side windows both roll nicely
- Black chrome clasp (period style) 3-point harnesses / seat belts
As a result of the car being totally restored. the MGB is in absolutely striking cosmetic condition both inside and out and is certainly a car that can be proudly displayed at any British or other car show and has the potential of receiving an award of excellence.
The extensive photographs reflect the car's condition including the body. paint. engine compartment. interior. trunk and underside. There are no indications of previous accident damage or replacement of body panels. Close inspection of the MGB shows the car's original welds in place in the front hood area and a totally straight. rust free undercarriage / chassis. Perhaps most important. the MGB began as a very honest. straight and solid cars.
The MGB starts immediately. idles smoothly and does not overheat. It runs and drives incredibly well. cruising comfortably at highway speeds. The engine is strong and does not exhibit any issues. There is no smoking. engine leaking. or unusual noise in the transmission and drive-line components. The MGB has excellent good power through all of the gears and does not hesitate or exhibit drivability problems.
The transmission shifts very well and the clutch engages properly and does not chatter or make noise. The transmission has been upgraded to a fully syncromesh (1-4th) gearbox making the car a joy to drive at higher speeds due to the reduced RPM's (reduced by 800-1. 00 RPM by engaging the overdrive in either 3rd or 4th gear). The brakes are properly adjusted and are well within acceptable limits (well over 6mm). Having front disc brakes. the car stops straight and sure. The emergency brake is fully functional and holds the car on a relatively steep incline. The steering is tight and precise and the car offers handling that will leave the driver with a smile for miles to come.
The MGB shows current mileage as 93. 25 and the car's original owner indicated that the cars mileage was correct before the comprehensive restoration effort was undertaken. However. the since we have no way to chronologically document the mileage (and. obviously the Car Fax does not exist for cars of this age) we are listing the car as "Exempt"" based on it being in excess of 45 years old.
- Passed the California required safety inspection with no findings. This includes functional wipers. turn signals. lights. brakes. tires. and suspension components.
- Also included with the MGB are the following:
- Photo documentation of the restoration (drive-line totally removed and updated)
- Haynes Repair Manual
- Chilton Repair Guide
- Huge collection (Over 80 from 1998 - 2012) of MGB Driver of North American MGB Register
- A comprehensive file maintained by the car's owner is being searched for and will be provided to the new owner if the previous owner can locate it. If not. the quality of the restoration and improvements will withstand a thorough inspection / evaluation.
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1966 MGB
- Engine: 1. 8 L. 4 cylinder in-line. single cam. 2 valves per cylinder. pushrod. front mounted
- Carburetion: dual SU HS-4
- Power: 95~ hp @ 5. 00 rpm
- Torque: 110 lb-ft @ 3. 00 rpm
- Transmission: manual 4 speed. synchromesh in all gears
- Drive: rear wheel
- Brakes: front-10. 75" discs. rear-10" drums
- Weight: 1984 lb.
- Length: 153. 5 inches
- Width: 60. 2 inches
- Height: 49. 6 inches
- Wheelbase: 91. 3 inches
- Ground clearance 4. 2 inches
- Turning circle 32 feet
HISTORY OF THE MGB
When the MGB was introduced in 1962. it was a two-seat open roadster with squared-off styling in the MG Midget mold. It had a pancake-style rear hinged hood. full width grille. scalloped recesses for the headlights in the tops of the front fenders. a separate trunk with a hinged lid. and canted rear lights in the ends of the rear fenders. The windshield was curved. there was a removable soft-top. and the doors had roll-up windows with hinged vent windows.
The MGB was actually a bit shorter than the MGA. but the design was such that MG had managed to make the cockpit roomier which allowed larger. more comfortable seats to be added. Both the driver and passenger had bucket seats. and full instrumentation was provided.
A year later in 1966. among the options offered for the MGB were an overdrive for the transmission. center hub mounted wire wheels. and a folding soft-top that could be stowed behind the seats. In 1964 a new bottom-end for the engine. derived from the BMC 1800. was fitted.
In the tradition of the earlier MG sports cars. the MGA had been built with a separate chassis to provide support and strength to the car and to carry all the mechanical components and the body. By the end of the 1950's however. methods of car construction had progressed. and the days of the separate chassis were almost over. Unitary construction was now the name of the game. whereby a cleverly designed body
shell constructed from a number of metal panels with a reinforced floor pan. provided mountings for all the mechanical components and absorbed all the loads from the suspension etc. The advantage of this type of construction was that it produced a much lighter car. which has obvious performance benefits for a sports car.
Hence. the MGB was to be built of unitary construction. At the front. the front panel. the inner fender panels and firewall formed one box; in the midsection. the firewall. cockpit floor and cowl formed another; while at the rear. the inner fenders. trunk floor. and rear panels formed another. Box section strengthening pieces were added to the floor to stiffen it and provide mountings for the rear suspension. while additional box sections ran along the bottoms of the front inner fenders for the engine and suspension mountings.
The front suspension and steering were much like the MGA. although there were minor differences. At the rear were the familiar semi-elliptic springs controlled by lever-arm shocks. The engine and transmission were also MGA sourced. but again in an improved state.
Many sports car enthusiasts believe that MGB's epitomize the classic British sports car. By the mid-1960's the MGB had very nice performance. handling and was comfortable for longer journey's (unlike the earlier MGTD's. "TC'S". etc). Also. these cars are not only great fun to drive and economical to operate. they get great mileage. The MGB represents a fuel efficient solution to a fun. affordable and practical sports car.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always. we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including. but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior. exterior. top. chrome. etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance. licensing by the state. and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action. grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources. transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same. small. California town for over 21 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar". indoor showroom. and specialize in the sale. consignment. and purchase of sports. high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local. private owners and collectors. and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars. with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally. and around the country. As a result. we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales. such as wholesale auctions. salvage sales. or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles. or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique. classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay. or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate. complete. and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers. terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing close to 800 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured. bonded. and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50. 00 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers. and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles. we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle). thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle. California buyers will be subject
to sales tax. a documentation fee. DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads. sales-tax. license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail. Also. if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives. etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this MGB by serious. qualified individuals or professional inspectors prior to the end of the auction to ensure that your evaluation of the cars condition is consistent with our evaluation. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However. we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles. and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback. standing in the community. length of time in business. and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws are present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips. nicks. scratches. etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration. or even a relatively new. used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also. ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles. these cars require regular. ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge. patience. and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said. collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- We make efforts to ensure that the information contained in this description is accurate but. in some instances. has been provided by the car's owner(s) or outside sources. As a result. we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Thank you. br />
Classic Cars Ltd.
Body Type / Style:Coupe Exterior Color:Tartan Red Interior Color:Black Engine:4 Cylinder Transmission: 4 Speed Manual w/ Overdrive Mileage:93418 Drive:Rear Doors:2
"Black Plate" California Car
3-Point Seat Belts
Alloy Valve Cover
Factory Bucket Seats
Factory Wire Wheels
Finished / Carpeted Trunk
Front Disc Brakes
Heater / Defroster
Looks Bone Stock
Original Owners Manual
Originally Black Plate CA Car
Runs / Drives Very Well
Spare Tire & Jack
Desirable Factory OVERDRIVE!
Factory Knock Off Wire Wheels
Striking Tartan Red Pain
Original California Car for 48~ Years
Removable Rollbar (Padded)
All New Rubber. Felt. Trim & More!
An Original No Rust Car Before Resto.
Full Tonneau with Center Zip
Fits Well (Only minor signs of wear)
Bolt in Roll Bar
Terms & Conditions
Buyers outside of California will be responsible for a $195. 00 fee for processing/administration. The charge will apply if the vehicle is purchased through ebay or before or after the auction. directly through Classic Cars Ltd.
The vehicle is listed for sale elsewhere. We reserve the right to end the auction at anytime. We will be glad to discuss details of a "pre-auction" purchase (925) 846 1451.
Inspections of vehicles are encouraged but (by appointment only) must be completed within 24 hours of the end of the auction.
Out of state buyers are responsible for the high bid and any shipping costs. California buyers are subject to the appropriate sales tax. DMV transfer. and fees associated with the purchase of any used vehicle sale in the state of California.
To avoid shipping the title with the car to our out of state buyers. we mail the title via Priority Mail.
While shipping and transportation costs (if appropriate) are the responsibility of the winning bidder. we can assist with locating a suitable transporter. We regularly ship cars all over the USA/World. and can often times locate very competitive rates for transporting vehicles door to door. to a local terminal. enclosed. open. etc. Please call us for specific information/rates to your location.
We meet some great people and fellow enthusiasts. and only rarely do we have problems with non-paying bidders. Please be certain that you are prepared to buy the car if you bid. or call us at 925-846-1451 before the end of the auction if we can answer any questions. If you have a "sunglass" rating or fewer than 10 feedback ratings on eBay. please call us before you bid so that we can discuss the bidding process. etc. If we do not hear from you. we reserve the right to delete your bid.
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd.
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic MG (Morris Garage) cars offered via internet auctions:
price: £3,409.00MGB GT V8 Thousands Spent Sebring
price: $6,500.001953 MG TD CUSTOM
price: $US $4,000.001980 MG MGB
price: $19,500.001955 MG TF 1500
|1979 MG Midget||4||$14,995.00|
|1953 MG TD||4||$31,995.00|
|1974 MG MGB||4||$10,995.00|
|1952 MG T-Series||3||$23,500.00|
|1977 MG Midget||12||$4,500.00|
|1977 MG MGB||12||$13,500.00|
|1959 MG MGA||12||$US $18,500.00|
|1962 MG Midget||21||$US $6,000.00|
|1952 MG T-Series --||12||$35,995.00|
|1974 MG Midget||21||$US $4,000.00|
|1956 MG MGA||20||$21,750.00|
|1951 MG T-Series --||21||$US $5,050.00|
|1974 MG MGB||12||$US $6,500.00|
|1977 MG MGB||12||$13,500.00|
|1973 MG MGB||14||$US $1,500.00|
|1973 MG MGB MGB, MG, Jaguar, BMW, Benz, Porche, Roster, Other,||21||$US $305.00|
|1980 MG MGB||12||$US $2,650.00|
|1979 MG MGB||13||$US $1,000.00|
|1978 MG MGB||6||$3,500.00|
|1972 MG MGB||12||$US $6,700.00|