1999 Porsche 911
Sale price: $24,500.00 make an offer
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Engine:||3.4L 3400CC H6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated|
|Safety Features:||Anti-Lock Brakes, Driver Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Side Airbags|
|Trim:||Carrera Coupe 2-Door|
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
1999 Porsche 911 for sale
1999 Porsche 911 Carerra 2
Please read this in its entirety if you are at all interested in any 911. not just this one.
**Clean carfax in hand showing no accidents and 4 owners. **
Any one who knows what 911's have done in the recent marketplace would agree that the 996 911 is now the least expensive way to get into a 911. All of the older air cooled models are now even more expensive than the 996 and the newer water cooled cars (The 996 is the first of the water cooled cars. ) are more expensive.
I bought this car almost two years ago while in the midst of two restorations on my other cars. one of which is now almost finished. the other is not far behind it. This car has been the most reliable car in my fleet of five for all this time.
Along with the fact that I have too many cars. I am also selling this one because my wife is a professional Cellist for a major orchestra. and this car does not easily accommodate a Cello (in its case) and the two of us. It's just plain awkward.
Anyone who knows me knows that I am fanatical about taking care of my cars and this one has been no different. I bought it mainly because of what had been done to it. (and who did it) and I really needed a good. fun. and reliable car as a segway to get me through the restorations I was working on.
This car is one that deserves truth. And I like selling things to people based on truth because I hope to get the same thing when I go to buy something myself. I see too many ads on Ebay where the sellers don't give enough information. Because this is a quality car that deserves truth. I am listing all of the things that I know to be potential problem areas so that there will be no surprises for its next owner. I consider this truth to be an addition to the value of the car. not a detractor.
One truth that needs to be told is that while this car has 144k miles on it. it has already fought. and WON. the battles that many other lower mileage cars will eventually have to face. It is a well known fact among 996 owners that IMS(InterMediate Shaft) bearing failure comes from low mileage and “just sitting in the garage” without being driven and loved. Sure you can find a 60k mile car for the same cost. but you WILL be spending a LOT of money getting to where this car is mechanically.
The story I got with the car. on top of a stack of records. was that at 126k miles the owner had a shop on the eastern shore (MD) replace both the clutch and transmission. (trans was Porsche Remanufactured) As a precautionary measure they also had the infamous Intermediate shaft bearing replaced. ( This part can only be accessed with the transmission dismounted from the engine) Unfortunately they used the wrong one. I. E. Don't know the name of it but it failed 7k miles later and took the motor with it. (As they always do) Please note that I do not have documentation on the transmission and clutch but I do trust the word of Sloan in telling me the story he got from the previous owner. I also believe it because when I got the car the transmission looked abnormally clean and new. It was obvious to me that it had been replaced.
With this being said Sloan Palitti. the owner of SSI motorsports bought the car from that owner. with the blown motor. completely rebuilt the engine. installed the proper VERTEX IMS bearing. and sold it to me. In addition to previous work I had him do that turned out well. I particularly trusted him because he was. and still is. my business partners brother.
This car will be sold with clear title and a MD state inspection in hand. Take the title right to the MVA and get your tags. I will be happy to deliver the car locally( to Southern MD) or even keep it in my garage until you can get your tags or pick it up.
So here it is.
-1999 Porsche 911 Carerra 2. 144k miles on body. 10k on rebuilt motor. 18k on new clutch and Porsche remanufactured transmission.
- Rare Arena red paint that is in beautiful condition. It also has a “clear bra” on the front to protect the paint from chips.
- At 134k miles. just before I bought it. the motor was completely rebuilt by Sloan Palitti at SSI motorsports in northern Baltimore. This guy builds 911 racing engines pretty regularly and had previously built a G50 transmission for my previous 1987 911 that is still going strong today. (sold that car to a friend about 8 years ago) I use the term complete because it best describes what was done. New rings. all seals/gaskets including valve seals. reworked heads. new lifters. chains and tensioners. water pump. and serpentine belt.
- Porsche remanufactured transmission and new clutch installed at 126k miles
- Front brakes were newly installed when I bought it at 134k miles. Ceramic pads and cross drilled rotors.
- Drivers seat has been re-skinned and is in great condition.
- All electronics are in perfect operational order right down to the remote key. cd changer. rear spoiler that extends perfectly. and AC that blows ICE COLD.
I have done the following work since taking over ownership at 134k miles. /p>
-New rear brakes including ceramic pads. Brembo cross drilled rotors. hardware. parking brakes shoes and all other related hardware. Additionally. when I did this job. I discovered that one of the caliper mounting bolts had stripped its threads in the hub. I got the proper heli-coil toolage and repaired the bolt hole to the point that it is. in my educated opinion. better than it was before. These cars are known for this problem and it is an easy repair with these proper tools. The repair I did goes the entire length of the caliper bolt with new threads. it is not a mickey mouse repair. With the possibility of this happening to this car in the future. I will include the $150 repair kit that I bought to do it.
-New drivers door window regulator
-All three hood shocks have been replaced. (Two up front. one in rear)
-6 new Porsche coil packs and 6 new NGK plugs. In the process of doing this job I found that the plugs were very recent(installed with new motor) but I replaced them anyway. The old ones(with less than 4k miles on them) will come with the car.
-Two new rear motor mounts. SSI motorsports will do the front one for about $300. (A very specialized tool is required to replace it without taking the trans out of the car. ) The car doesn't really need it. but I bought it anyway and the new mount itself will be included with the car.
-At 143k miles I installed four new staggered Michelin tires and had the alignment done at Agape Auto Service in Hollywood MD.
-At 140k miles I replaced the trans fluid with Redline synthetic.
- I have changed the oil using MOTUL 5w-40 synthetic three times since I have owned it. Sloan. who built the motor. says it should be done every 4-5k miles.
The potential future issues to be dealt with. /p>
-There is a small curb dent in the bottom of the passenger side rocker panel. Not at all noticeable unless you look for it. It was there when I bought it.
-One of the two rear wheels is slightly bent but still balances out fine. It required about a gram and a half to balance. I have never noticed any kind of vibration what so ever because of it.
-With the engine not running. you can bump the mufflers with your hand and hear an internal rattle. At this point in time. you cannot hear it at all with the motor running. but rest assured. they will need replacing sometime in the next 20k miles. There are also numerous “How to's” on the internet about removing the mufflers. cutting them open. and re-welding the internal brackets to stop the rattle.
- The control arms and ball joints are completely tight and went through the alignment/inspection with flying colors but a few of the boots for the ball joints are broken open so it is only a matter of time before they start creaking and wearing. I would say that job will be required about 30k miles from the cars current mileage. A minor creak can be heard right now which I attribute to the sway bar bushings that I have not gotten to yet. They are about $30 per set for each front and rear.
- There are two bulls eyes in the windshield. Neither one prevented it from passing MD inspection twice and neither one has moved. or gotten worse since I got the car. (they were there when I got it. ) The larger of the two is about a half inch long and the tiny cracks have not budged at all. Neither of them are any where near the drivers field of vision.
- There is a small door ding on the passenger rear quarter. Paint was/is not affected.
- There are two tiny burn marks inside the drivers headlight where a bulb had a meltdown. It does not effect the lighting at all and was there when I bought the car.
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic cars offered via internet auctions:
price: $13,990.002008 Audi A8 4.2L AWD GPS Navi Camera Heated Leather Seats Sunroof
price: $42,488.002017 Ford Expedition Limited
price: $23,990.002017 Dodge Grand Caravan
price: $25,330.002016 Chevrolet Trax FWD 4dr LT
|2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata MX-5 MIATA GRAND TOURING CONVERTIBLE||13||$10,999.00|
|2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL HTD LEATHER SUNROOF NAV||21||$16,480.00|
|1995 Jaguar XJS||12||$8,995.00|
|1929 Ford Model A||15||$35,995.00|
|1997 Ford F-250 XL 2dr 4WD Standard Cab LB HD||18||$5,900.00|
|2008 Subaru WRX||12||$22,995.00|
|2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport **Super Charged**||16||$16,996.00|
|2013 Ford E-Series Van||7||$19,750.00|
|2013 Subaru Other Limited||12||$18,942.00|
|1997 Mercedes-Benz 600-Series S600||21||$12,995.00|
|2001 Volvo V70 --||12||$4,975.00|
|2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500||3||$10,800.00|
|2015 Ford Taurus SHO||4||$26,788.00|
|2017 Chevrolet Traverse FWD 4dr LS w/1LS||11||$30,017.00|
|2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT||12||$37,589.00|
|2012 Maserati Gran Turismo C Sport||4||$65,900.00|
|1986 Jeep Cherokee Laredo||19||$US $4,950.00|
|2017 Ford F-150 ROUSH F-150||20||$73,977.00|
|2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C300||1||$34,690.00|
|2010 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4 SuperCab LB 6.4L Diesel 4X4 Deleted||21||$24,995.00|