1953 MG T-Series
Sale price: $20,500.00 make an offer
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
1953 MG T-Series for sale
THE 1950-1953 MGTD
MG's TC roadster sold well initially and proved American demand for an English sports car. but the car's right-hand-drive configuration and 1930s specifications meant it was ripe for a redesign by 1950. The 1950 to 1953 TD also carried a few modifications aimed at the U. S. market. Specifically. left-hand drive was offered. along with rack-and-pinion steering. smaller. 15-inch steel disc wheels (no wire wheels were offered). and larger bumpers. In turn. the car was wider and 200 pounds heavier than the TC. Keeping with its predecessor. the TD's weather protection was minimal.
The MG TD still used the 54-hp. 1. 50-cc XPAG inline-four motor to reach a top speed in the mid-70 mph range. The TD's modifications conspired with a newly devalued British pound to make the TD an unqualified success and 29. 64 were sold in four years - three times the TC production. More than 80% of the total production was imported to the U. S. In the middle of 1951. the TD received a new engine block and sump. as well as a larger clutch and a new flywheel. and this iteration is now commonly referred to as the TD2.
In general. the MG T-Series delivers a pure 1940s / early 1950s pleasurable British driving experience and the TD is no exception. Its mechanicals are robust and mostly easy to source. which makes ownership relatively straightforward.
This TD2 car was restored by the previous owner in 1998-2000 and was driven for one year (approximately 1000 miles in 2001) before he passed away. In 2013 the kids decided to sell the car and I bought it in 2014. I have had many British cars and always wanted a T-series. The speedometer showed 98000 miles when I bought it. It had new tires. side curtains and top. After being idle and garage stored for such a long time. work needed to be done. The carbs were rebuilt with new parts. Compression was normal on all four cylinders. The brakes were completely redone replacing all the wheel cylinders and master cylinder (New shoes on all 4 axles). Trans and diff fluids were changed. Carpets removed and cleaned from the storage. Gas tank cleaned and flushed. After the first drive while in my possession. it was clear the cooling system was inadequate. After flushing. cleaning. thermostat check. new temperature sensor. we still had a problem. I then had a new radiator core installed in the original radiator housing. Problem solved.
The identifying numbers appear on two brass plates on the driver's side firewall tool box. These show:
- Body Type: 22381
- Body Number: 28495 / 7548
- Car #: TD 29258
The numbers show that this was a VERY late 1953 car and very near the end of the production run. Note in the pictures that this car has the very rare optional factory heater/defroster (very cool).
- MG XPAG engine. 4 cylinder in-line. Correct Factory Displacement Engine / 1250 cc
- Naturally aspirated w/ rebuilt twin SU carburetors
- Proper factory air cleaner
- Direct rack and pinion steering
- 12 volt conversion and new battery in 2015
- Stock polished manifold
- Excellent Kelly 205/70R15 radial tires
- Stock 12 gallon fuel tank- New wiring harness and voltage regulator with 2000 restoration
- Car has no major oil leaks but of course. minor leaks are consistent with British cars - Extremely straight body lines & door fitment
- All exterior chrome is excellent and free from pitting or damage
- Older windscreen with a small crack in one corner (not in the line of vision)- Older beige canvas tonneau cover with functional center zipper to allow for "splitting" the driver's and passenger compartments or covering the entire car. There are drops of oil leaving a mark on the canvas. - Older beige spare tire cover with hole in center to show the hub cap. - Both doors open and close and secure properly with solid hinges and no sagging
- Original working Lucas fog lamps - AM radio (period correct) in glove box- Beautiful pleated red leather seats
- Original type vinyl covered dash & gauges
- All original gauges and all work except for small clock below tachometer
- Excellent red leather door panels each w/ a storage pocket
- Ample space for luggage behind the front seats with separate carpeted compartment
- Factory correct center mounted rear view mirror
- Turn signal switch added.
- Functional original electric wipers
- Hand brake works
- Twin factory style horns (2) work (loud!)
- Lights & electrical system is fully functional (with the exception of the clock)
- Current odometer reading is 1000 miles- Clear Illinois title- Custom bonnet support brackets- It has the rear luggage rack included but not installed because I do not like the look. - A box of extra parts
The car runs and drives very well. It starts immediately when cold and equally as well once it is fully warmed up. This TD is a driver. It took me over a year to get it on the road again and I drive it almost every day.
The MGTD does not pull to the left or right. or exhibit any drivability issues. MG enthusiasts will notice that the instrumentation is MG period correct. The MG runs at normal operating temperature. The other gauges are fully functional (speedometer. tachometer. oil pressure. ampmeter) as are the lights. horn and the turn signals. Engine oil pressure typically reads 30-40+ lbs. is well within the normal operating specifications.
This car is underpriced to sell quickly at $20500. I can help with delivery
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic MG (Morris Garage) cars offered via internet auctions:
price: $US $3,500.001976 MG MGB
price: $US $4,250.001970 Replica/Kit Makes MG beetle
price: $8,850.001968 MG MGB
price: $12,995.001977 MG MGB
|1979 MG Midget||4||$14,995.00|
|1953 MG TD||4||$31,995.00|
|1974 MG MGB||4||$10,995.00|
|1952 MG T-Series||3||$23,500.00|
|1977 MG Midget||12||$4,500.00|
|1977 MG MGB||12||$13,500.00|
|1959 MG MGA||12||$US $18,500.00|
|1962 MG Midget||21||$US $6,000.00|
|1952 MG T-Series --||12||$35,995.00|
|1974 MG Midget||21||$US $4,000.00|
|1956 MG MGA||20||$21,750.00|
|1951 MG T-Series --||21||$US $5,050.00|
|1974 MG MGB||12||$US $6,500.00|
|1977 MG MGB||12||$13,500.00|
|1973 MG MGB||14||$US $1,500.00|
|1973 MG MGB MGB, MG, Jaguar, BMW, Benz, Porche, Roster, Other,||21||$US $305.00|
|1980 MG MGB||12||$US $2,650.00|
|1979 MG MGB||13||$US $1,000.00|
|1978 MG MGB||6||$3,500.00|
|1972 MG MGB||12||$US $6,700.00|