1974 Triumph Stag 2500, manual o/d, metallic BRG, taxed & tested
Sale price: £1,500.00 make an offer
Last update: 17.03.2014
Car location: Northallerton, North Yorkshire, United KingdomSale type: Fixed price listing
Technical specifications, photos and description:
* UK bidders only.
* No offers – the auction will run to the end.
* Reserve is set at £1500.
* Payment is PayPal only.
* The winning bidder is responsible for collection of the car. at a mutually agreed date and time.
* Payment must be made before the car is collected.
* The price at the end of the auction is what you pay - it is not a starting point for negotiation. Serious bidders are welcome to come and inspect the car before the auction ends.
* This is a private sale. No warranty is given or implied.
Sorry for the heavy stuff. but there are people out there who just won't abide by the rules…
This listing is for a 1974 Triumph Stag MkII in metallic British racing green. with black hood and trim. It is fitted with a Triumph 2. 5 straight-six engine and a manual/overdrive gearbox (originally from a 1974 2500TC saloon).
I bought this car in 2004. It had been in a garage. unused. for several years. The engine conversion had been carried out by a previous owner. I wanted a Stag with this engine because the 2. 5 straight-six does have some advantages over the Triumph V8: it is more robust. has a good spares supply and is easier to maintain and work on. yet is still a Triumph engine from the same era (the same year in this instance).
What has been done in my ownership:
* New/exchange gearbox and overdrive fitted.
* New lightweight ‘Hi-torq' starter fitted.
* New overdrive solenoid and gearlever switch fitted.
* New clutch. clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder fitted.
* New spin-on oil filter adaptor and oil cooler fitted.
* Rear suspension rebuilt. with new springs. Spax shocks and polybushes.
* New/rebuilt power steering rack fitted.
* Aldon Ignitor electronic ignition fitted.
* New headlights and rear lights fitted.
* New Facet electric fuel pump fitted. (Mechanical pump is an option on the 2. 5 engine - new one supplied).
* New fuel filler flap fitted
* New black double-duck hood and reconditioned frame fitted.
* New inner and outer sills fitted (both sides).
* New front valance fitted.
* Repairs to base of windscreen pillars. chassis. floor. footwells and areas adjacent to sills and valance.
* Bilt Hamber cavity wax injected into the box sections. after the body repairs.
* Brushed stainless steel dash and centre console panels fitted (originals were in poor condition). This allowed a change of layout and are easy to remove.
* Home-made stainless exhaust fitted. using a 2500 downpipe. TR6 centre section and 2500 rear box. Its not great. but does the job (could do with something better).
What needs doing (the worst bits):
* The boot has no interior trim.
* The boot lid is GRP (but a new MkII steel one comes with the car).
* The boot floor has a couple of poor patches and towbar mounting holes plugged with grommets (no towbar during my ownership).
* There is a poor patch on the driver side inner wing. between the brake servo and the strut top (shown in photo 9). Strut top is good.
* There is bubbling on both front wing arches and along the bottom of the doors. There are also rust patches on the front of the rear wings at the base of the B-post (photo10 shows passenger side. which is worst).
* The chromework is average for age. with rusting and pitting evident. The rear bumper is particularly poor.
* There are small round dents in the bonnet and rear bumper.
* The wiring is quite interesting. However. everything works except the door activation for the interior light (which can be switched on) and the clock.
* The seats are average. with age-related wear and disintegrating foam (worst on driver's seat).
* The passenger door needs adjustment.
* The paintwork looks ok on the photos. but there are scratches and chips (especially on the GRP boot lid). The original colour was magenta. which has been resprayed bright red. before the previous owner painted it metallic green. I had intended to strip it down to bare metal. carry out any further body repairs and start again.
* The heater control is seized (in the ‘on' position).
* There are no door or boot lock keys.
* The alloy wheels need refurbishing.
* There are aerial holes in both rear wings (one in each. blanked with black plastic grommets).
* The engine seems good. with no end float apparent. The mileage is currently shown as 50. 11 miles. but I can't confirm this is accurate. However. I can say it has done less than 4. 00 miles during my ownership.
* There is no history prior to my ownership. but I've got a file of papers including receipts for the parts (most of which came from Rimmer Bros). as well as photos.
* MOT to 06/9/14 and tax to 31/8/14. No advisories at the last MOT.
* The car has always been garaged.
* New and used spares come with the car. These include: new MkII steel boot lid. front suspension poly bushes and mechanical fuel pump. Also included are a good used 3. 45 diff (from a 2500S saloon) and Stag back plate. The Stag has the standard 3. 7:1 ratio diff fitted (which is ok). but I thought a 3. 45 unit would better suit the engine and be more comfortable for long distances. I haven't had chance to fit it.
* Photos 1 to 8 were taken last weekend. The car was not 'tarted up' for the photos - just washed.
* Photos 11 and 12 show examples of the body repairs. More photos can be emailed on request.
I've decided to sell due to continued lack of time (increasingly spent with elderly parents) and money (had to buy another car for work). Although this Stag is far from perfect. most of the usual body rot-spots have been fixed and it has been a very reliable car (albeit on short runs). It will make a good rolling project for someone who wants to continue the work.
I strongly advise you view the car before you bid. If you want to arrange a viewing. or would like more information/have a question. please phone me on 07851 128936. before 9pm (if I don't answer. leave a message and I'll get back to you). or email me via ebay. Sorry. but I won't answer texts.
Thanks for looking.
Also published at eBay.co.uk
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic AC Cars cars offered via internet auctions:
price: £400.001955 standard 10
price: £1,440.00Landrover Defender 110 1985
price: £6,988.002009 09 VOLVO S60 2.4 SE D 4D 161 BHP DIESEL
price: £6,800.001980 AC COBRA ( Pilgrim Sumo)