This 1966 Land Rover Series 2A/Defenderfour door 4x4 wagon
Sale price: $42,990.00 make an offer
Last update: 31.01.2014
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
This 1966 Land Rover Series 2A/Defenderfour door 4x4 wagon for sale
Vehicle DetailsYear: 1966Make: Land RoverModel: OtherVIN: 25111013CStock Number: 30875Mileage: 1053Transmission: ManualEngine: 4 Cylinder. 3. 0 LExterior Color: TanInterior Color: BlackTitle: Clear
This 1966 Land Rover Series 2A/Defender four door 4x4 wagon (Stock # 30875) is available in our Redwood City. CA showroom and any inquiries may be directed to us at 650-276-5400 or via email at Sales@SpecialtySales. com.
Exceedingly Rare 1966 Land Rover IIA
Up for sale today is a 1966 Land Rover Series 2A/Defender four door 4x4 wagon with fresh Limestone paint and a black interior. This vehicle has undergone a complete frame off restoration/mod starting with the 3. 0L GM 4 cylinder engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. along with a Weber carb. custom intakes/manifolds. power front disc brakes. and so much more. From the cooling system to the interior to the Defender body itself. everything is in like-new condition.100% Restored to Better than New Condition
The current owner of this 1966 Land Rover Series IIA wagon has completely stripped this beauty down to the frame. He then rebuilt it from the ground up to drive as a combination of a rugged classic and a modern powerhouse so that no terrain will stand in its way. It has close to double the horsepower and 30% more torque than what was available from the factory. plus the Defender 110 military chassis gives it much more protection. Each panel was completely rebuilt and custom fitted.
Additionally. this 1966 Land Rover Series IIA has all brand new Defender doors. a completely new interior. plus all new modern wiring. cooling systems. etc. While many stock components were used whenever possible. this is for all intents and purposes a brand new Defender 110 Land Rover (although it is titled as the ’66 109 model).
An Absolute Steal at the Current Asking Price
This 1966 Land Rover 4x4 wagon was painstakingly restored to be able to dominate any terrain and it’s an absolute steal at the current asking price. When you consider this vehicle’s natural rarity along with the incredible restoration effort. this may be the best investment in our showroom at this time. For more information about this vehicle. visit our Redwood City. California showroom. give us a call. or email us at Sales@SpecialtySales. com. Be sure to mention stock # 30875 as well.
Overall. this vehicle has been rebuilt from the ground up to provide the strongest. most capable yet practical off-road vehicle possible. using as many near stock components as possible. to keep operating and maintenance costs to a practical minimum. Of course. highway or in-town use is equally practical. The combination of a modem GM engine. modem electrical system and heavy-duty British military chassis and running gear means that this vehicle. combining the simplicity of older "safari-type" Land Rovers with most of the best features of modem Defenders. gives the best of both worlds. old and new!
Based on a 1966 Land Rover 109 5-door station wagon. this vehicle has the following major modifications:
ENGINE. RUNNING GEAR. COOLING AND FUEL SYSTEM. CHASSIS. STEERING AND BRAKES
A new GM 181 CI motor (3 liter). producing nearly 150 BHP has been fitted. which is about double the 70+ horsepower of the 109's original 2. 25 liter motor. Torque has been increased by nearly 30%. This conversion has been used successfully for many years. starting with the older "Mercury Marine" version. The motor. manufactured by General Motors for marine use. is based on the old GM "iron duke" block used in many GM vehicles. The motor has been fitted with a single Weber dual throat 38 DGAS automatic electric choke carburetor. with custom intake and exhaust manifolds. An improved feature of the marine adaptation is the use of bronze and stainless steel in certain internal components. due to its intended use in a marine (salt water) environment. The revised specification. including a completely revised cylinder head with more efficient porting. means that better performance and extreme reliability are an added feature of this engine. which is still available today new.
- The clutch is a new standard Land Rover clutch. fitted to a 12"nominal GM flywheel. A special cast aluminum bell housing adaptor mates the GM block to the Land Rover 5-speed gearbox. - The revised 3 liter motor. including its redesigned. more powerful cylinder head. electronic ignition. hydraulic valve lifters. and other improvements mean a very strong engine requiring only minimal maintenance and therefore low operating expenses. The 1966 registration also means that the vehicle is not subject to biannual state smog inspections. - The GM 3 liter marine engine was obtained through KEM equipment in Oregon; they can be reached at (503) 692- 5012. New engines and all their GM components are readily available. - The cooling system. including the stock Land Rover radiator. is also completely new. The engine has been fitted with a high performance multi-blade fan. - The entire fuel system. including fuel pump and all fuel lines. is completely new; the original single rear-mounted gas tank has been completely cleaned inside & out and rebuilt. - A replacement 110 military chassis and (except for the engine) running gear have been fitted. which increases the original wheelbase from 109 inches to 110 inches
- The 5-speed gearbox (with special ratios). transfer case. axles and differentials are as specified for a military mid-80's 110. now called the Defender Series of vehicles. New. heavy duty propeller shafts have been fitted to accommodate the slightly revised location of the new GM engine. which replaced the original 2. 5 L turbo diesel engine used by the military. - Steering: this vehicle features a modem collapsible type steering column. and has been fitted with a new leather/aluminum small diameter steering wheel. - The brakes. completely rebuilt and fitted with all-new hydraulics and lines. are power-assisted front disc and heavy duty rear drum brakes. Road wheels are modern Defender type 16" rims.
The body is the basis for the rebuilt vehicle. The "109" model name indicated that the vehicle's wheelbase was originally 109". however. the replacement military 110 chassis means that in every respect but name the vehicle is now a Land Rover 110. which was renamed the "Defender 11O" in the l 990's. due to marketing purposes. The only major components remaining from the original body shell are the steel main bulkhead and the upper rear panels and roof panel. as well as the aluminum bonnet. The different placement of the axles on the 110 chassis meant that new Defender 110 wheel arch panels needed to be fitted. replacing the original 109 panels. as have the majority of all exterior aluminum panels. The interior panels were completely rebuilt. front and rear. also in order to accommodate the different placement of the 110 military chassis axle locations. The doors (all 5) are new Defender doors.
- Virtually all other exterior body components. including the rear lower side panels. all rear panels. and front panels are now new Defender 110 aluminum panels. - A new galvanized roof rack has been fitted.
- A special system of checkered aluminum side steps mounted on welded steel tubing. bolted to the chassis. has been fitted. completely and easily removable if so desired.
ELECTRICAL. SWITCHES. GAUGES. LIGHTS AND WIPERS:
The gauges are either rebuilt or else completely new. including the new speedometer. The odometer reading is current. having been started from "0" at the time of the rebuilding of this vehicle. The actual mileage of the original vehicle and the replacement chassis is unknown. but is irrelevant. the vehicle having been totally rebuilt. Exterior lights (running lights. turn signals. stop lights) are modern plastic Defender-type. readily available and inexpensive. A new air horn has been fitted. which is far louder than the original electric horns. Also. the center bulkhead and instrument/switch panel are the much more accessible earlier center-mounted metal type. rather than the all-plastic later type mounted over the steering column. Much easier to work on!
- The vehicle has been fitted with a completely new wiring harness. incorporating modern blade-type fuses. instead of the old Lucas glass fuses and holders. - The ignition system is an electronic Mallory distributor. requiring virtually no maintenance
- The engine has been fitted with a modern GM single-wire alternator. replacing completely the original Lucas generator and relays. etc.
- The wipers are operated by a single cable and electric motor. rather than the original old overhead type electric wipers. - The windscreen frame has been likewise replaced with a more modern frame. eliminating the wiper motor mounting holes in the original windscreen.
THE INTERIOR. HEATING/COOLING. and OTHER ADDITIONS
The interior is completely new. including the front seats. with the exception of the original rear bench seat. New adjustable front shoulder harnesses have been fitted; the rear bench seat has been fitted with a removable system of lap belts; the mounting tube for the belts can be easily removed to provide a completely flat rear deck for cargo. The rear deck has a heavy duty industrial reinforced rubber mat fitted.
- The heater is an "arctic" type heating system. usually fitted to vehicles in Canada and the arctic. which is much stronger than the original heating system fitted to standard 109 vehicles of the '60's.
- The roof features a "sun panel" with flow-through ventilation helping to keep the vehicle cooler in bright sunshine.
- The operable roof vents also provide additional ventilation.
- A single key locking system controls all doors and the ignition. - The radio. mounted in a special ABS plastic holder above the rear-view mirror. is more accessible. but not easily seen from outside the vehicle. It makes it much less attractive to thieves. - The battery power on/off switch for the radio is on the left side of the mounting holder. Turning this switch off when the vehicle is not in use prevents a slow drain on the battery.
The information presented for this vehicle is deemed reliable. but is not guaranteed as a basis of purchase. The Buyer should make a thorough. independent inspection and investigation of the vehicle prior to purchase.Additional Photos Warranty InformationThis vehicle is being sold as is. where is with no warranty. expressed written or implied. The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description. authenticity. genuineness. or defects herein. and makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness. imperfection. defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type. It is the responsibility of the buyer to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle. and to have satisfied himself or herself as to the condition and value and to bid based upon that judgement solely. The seller shall and will make every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects associated with this vehicle at the buyer's request prior to the close of sale. Seller assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any oral statements about the vehicle. Terms & Conditions
ATTENTION: If you have questions or concerns. resolve them at least 12 hours before the close of the auction. We may still answer questions within 12 hours. but can not guarantee it. We work hard to make sure that our listings are honest and fairly priced. We expect your honesty in return. Your bid is a contract and you will be expected to pay within the limits of the terms and conditions described above.
Winning bidder must contact us within 24 hours of auction end. and make arrangements for payment at that time. A $1. 00. 00 deposit is due within 24 hours of end of auction. The remainder is due within three (3) days of auction end. If no contact is made within 24 hours. we reserve the right to re-list the vehicle. sell it to the next high bidder. or sell it otherwise. Make sure if financing that your financial institution accepts the year and miles of this vehicle before bidding. Please arrange financing prior to bidding.
Buyers are responsible for pickup or shipping of their vehicles. If a buyer wishes to have it shipped using a service. we will gladly cooperate. To locate shippers. you may search on Google for `auto shippers`. We do collect sales tax from all California buyers. Out of state buyers are responsible themselves for all state. county. city taxes and fees. as well as title/registration fees in the state that the vehicle will be registered.
Although we do our best to describe the vehicles. these are previously owned vehicles and there is a slight possibility that we might overlook some minor appearance details. We do our best to list any major defects in appearance or running condition. If possible. we recommend you stop by to take a look at the vehicle before you make your final bid. It is the responsibility of the buyer to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle. and to become satisfied with the condition and value in order to bid based on that judgment. If you are not sure about something. please contact us! Do not assume anything not listed is included.
We are a fully bonded. licensed and insured dealership. If a prior sale is completed we reserve the right to cancel or end the auction early. All bids are a legal binding contract. If there are any questions or reservations on bidding. please contact us before you place the bid. Make sure that you contact us before the auction closes.
Fee and Tax Information:
All Buyers whether in CA or outside of CA including out of country buyers are responsible for a Mandatory $80. 00 Doc preperation fee for preperation of all sales documents.
The sale price agreed to upon winning bid or Buy it now is not reflecting any Applicable taxes and registration costs for CA buyers. These fees will be added to the sale price for any vehicle that will be registered in CA. You are responsible for taxes and fees to your local government in states outside of CA.
Specialty Sales Classics is the oldest and largest classic & exotic car dealer in Northern California. All of the cars in our 4 indoor showrooms are on consignment from private sellers. We sell over 40% of our cars to buyers in other states and other countries all around the world. We are also a licensed California DMV dealer so all of our vehicles receive a safety inspection by an ASE certified technician. If you need financing we have lenders who will finance classic and exotic cars on approved credit.See our other listings
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Rover cars offered via internet auctions:
price: £6,999.00Classic Rover Mini Cooper Monte Carlo 1994 Spi
price: £8,000.001993 Cabrio Convertible , one owner from new, totally refurbished ,low milage
price: £3,795.00Rover 2000 tc
price: $12,500.001969 Land Rover Series 2a Beautiful Restomod 88 lla 4x4 v8
|1978 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45 4 DOOR EXTENDED CHASSIS||21||$49,500.00|
|1963 Land Rover Land Rover 2 door, Series 2||20||$US $565.55|
|1973 Land Rover Defender||21||$16,500.00|
|1969 Land Rover Defender||21||$32,000.00|
|1971 Land Rover Series 2a skippy 88"||12||$US $10,000.00|
|1961 Land Rover Santana||12||$30,000.00|
|1979 Land Rover Other||21||$US $7,000.00|
|1967 Land Rover series 2 a 109||8||$16,000.00|
|1966 Land Rover Defender||15||$14,999.00|
|1975 Land Rover Defender||11||$12,000.00|
|1984 Rover 3500 SD1 SE V8||12||$12,990.00|
|1979 Toyota Land Cruiser||12||$44,500.00|
|1974 Datsun Z-Series||12||$US $6,200.00|
|1977 Toyota Land Cruiser||12||$24,500.00|
|1972 Land Rover Other||10||$12,000.00|
|1962 Land Rover Other 88 RHD||21||$US $5,600.00|
|1973 Land Rover Defender||11||$15,000.00|
|1970 Land Rover Defender Series II||15||$26,950.00|
|1971 Land Rover Defender --||12||$17,950.00|
|1964 Other Makes MkII||4||$US $310.00|