1973 Jaguar Series 3 V12 E type roadster
Sale price: £59,000.00 make an offer
Last update: 07.09.2013
Sale type: Fixed price listing
Technical specifications, photos and description:
I have owned this car for 10 years and searched for a year before buying this car which is in exceptional condition.
The E Type is a genuine UK registered roadster with matching numbers. First registered on the first of November 1973.
The car has been the subject of a full nut and bolt. bare metal rebuild which was carried out to a high standard. The bodywork is all original with no accident damage. replacement panels or filler. The original cills and all other box sections have been waxoil injected. The rebuild included all mechanical components including the engine which was rebuilt by Forward Engineering. The car is completely oil tight. Following the rebuild the car was sold for £59. 00 in 1989 with a recorded mileage of 53000. I have a copy of the invoice. I purchased the car in 2003 with a mileage of 55128 and the current mileage is 58910. I have a full history file which will go with the car which includes all MOT's and service information. The car is kept in a dehumidified garage and hasn't been driven in the rain since it was rebuilt.
In the 10 years I have owned the car the following works have been undertaken:
- New SU carbs fitted to replace the originals. These were purchased from Burlen fuel systems and were set up and rejetted to suit the exhaust. The original carbs are available if you want to change back but the SU's are far better. give better economy. easy starting from hot and no leaks from the o ring seals. The original air cleaners have been retained.
- Brakes overhauled. Servo has been replaced. master cylinder striped cleaned and re-rubbered. front callipers rebuilt with s/s pistons and new seals. green stuff pads all round and s/s braided hoses fitted.
- Ignition – the original opus ignition system has been replaced with new Barrett system which looks identical but has modern electronic components. The coil. leads and distributor were also replaced.
- Suspension – The front torsion bars have been set up to the correct ride height using the Jaguar special tool. shock absorbers have been replaced all round with new Koni classic shocks and the rear springs were replaced. Motorlita wood rim steering wheel fitted with E Type centre. Knock on spinners have been fitted to the wheels but the original euro spinners and tool will be provided with the car.
- Cooling – The original radiator and fan assembly have been replaced with new aluminium radiator and aluminium fan surround fitted with a pair of Kenlowe type fans. The fan assembly was imported from V12s of America and incorporates an electrical sensor/switch fitted to the top hose. This replaces the otter switch fitted to the bottom hose which I have found to be unreliable. The otter switch and wiring is still in place and could be reconnected if required but the new switch is far more accurate and seems reliable. The aluminium radiator has made a significant difference with the temperature being stable even in traffic and the heat in the foot well has reduced. The water pump has been rebuilt. All water hoses replaced with Kevlar reinforced hoses.
- Exhaust system – s/s AJ6 extractor exhaust system fitted. The system has a good sound but is not noisy. The advantage of the system is that the front boxes are removed so speed humps are no longer a problem and the pipework is full bore and not restricted under the back suspension. The original manifolds have been retained.
- 5 Speed gearbox – a Derek Watson 5 speed conversion has been carried out. This uses the T5 gearbox which is very strong and for which parts are readily available. The benefit of the conversion is that the original ratios for the first 4 speeds have been retained. keeping the character of the car. but the fifth gear gives a 20% overdrive. On the road the difference is amazing with cruising at motorways speeds now a relaxing experience and the fuel economy has improved significantly. The work was carried out by Derek Watson with a total bill of £6700 and included a new clutch. propshaft etc.
- 4 new Avon tyres fitted last year and 2 new Motor Wheel Services wheels with s/s spokes fitted.
- Full bare metal respray undertaken last year. The reason for the respray was that I noticed some micro blistering to the cellulose paint on the rear wings due to putting a damp cover on the car. I decided rather than patch repair to have the paint stripped back to bare metal and a very high quality respray undertaken. The paintwork is now faultless. The picture showing the car with the hood up was taken before the respray. The paintwork to the underside of the car is as good as the top.
- High torque starter motor fitted.
All the work undertaken to the car has been professionally done and no structural alterations have been made so if required everything can be put back to original. The only visible alteration from the exterior is the exhaust system. The history file includes receipts for the work undertaken
The general condition of the car is exceptional and could easily be made concourse but I required a car that is a pleasure to drive and own. I did not intend to sell the car and no expense has been spared. The car is taxed until the end of October and MOT'd until May 2014.
The seats and upholstery are in good condition. The seat pads have been replaced but the leather is original and has good patina. Hood is in good condition and has a full toneau and a half toneau. The chrome work is all in good condition including the chrome wire wheels.
My reason for selling is that we are moving house and I will have nowhere to store the car for sometime and after having all this work carried out I do not want to put the car into offsite storage.
Inspection welcome and I am happy to take you for a drive (if its dry!). no test drives unless full payment made in advance.
I believe the price is low for a car of this standard but I may consider a reasonable offer.
If you wish to discuss please call me on 07860151266
Payment will be required by bank transfer or cash
Also published at eBay.co.uk
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Jaguar cars offered via internet auctions:
price: £69,950.00Jaguar E-Type
price: $7,900.00Jaguar : Other
price: $48,600.001952 Jaguar XK120 Roadster: Beautiful, All Numbers Matching, Mechanically Strong
price: $911.00Jaguar XJ6 1980 Series 111 4 2L Auto Nice RED Colour in Colac, VIC
|1947 Jaguar Mark 4 Mark iv Mkiv Mk4 Mk 4 MKIV Restoration Project||12||$12,000.00|
|1988 Jaguar XJ40 3.6 Litre. only 175klms on the clock..!!!||4||$1,400.00|
|1987 Jaguar XJ Runs Body Int Excel 4.1L I6 3 spd auto||21||$7,999.00|
|1963 Jaguar XK||1||$69,500.00|
|1966 Jaguar XK||1||$87,500.00|
|1974 Jaguar E Type --||12||$105,000.00|
|1949 Other Makes SALOON||21||$7,500.00|
|1966 Jaguar E-Type||21||$79,995.00|
|1963 Jaguar E-Type Immaculately restored 99.92 JCNA First Place Winni||12||$250,000.00|
|1963 Jaguar E-Type||21||$195,000.00|
|1970 Jaguar E-Type||21||$US $59,900.00|
|1985 Jaguar Other - hand built limousine as per Rolls-Royce||1||$57,000.00|
|1966 Jaguar Other||12||$27,500.00|
|1974 Jaguar E-Type V-12||21||$US $48,500.00|
|1967 Jaguar E-Type||12||$US $8,200.00|
|1967 Jaguar E-Type||12||$139,000.00|
|1951 Jaguar XK||12||$US $41,100.00|
|1968 Jaguar E-Type||18||$US $18,500.00|
|1959 Jaguar MK1X||21||$19,300.00|
|1971 Jaguar E-Type||21||$US $15,100.00|