Low Miles, Excellent / Show Condition, Beautiful Red Finish
Sale price: $44,387.00 make an offer
Technical specifications, photos and description:
|Got questions?||Ask here!|
Do you like this car?
Low Miles, Excellent / Show Condition, Beautiful Red Finish for sale
1967 Red Austin-Healey 3000. Mk III. Phase II. BJ8. Roadster
(Last Year of the BIG Healey's which makes it one of the most desirable Models/Years to Invest in / Collect)
Listed on a recent Sports Car Market “BUY” list as a car that is well worth $70K+ today and an excellent investment for tomorrow. This coincides with a couple articles recently published by the Wall Street Journal on the topic of Investing in Classic Cars. The Oct 19th article specifically mentioned that it's the Open Cars/Roadsters. that ae performing the best in the Classic Car Market Place.
NADA High Retail Book Value is $78. 00 USD. The RESERVE for this car is set WELL BELOW Book Value The Classic Cars Global Price Guide is also quoting within a couple hundred dollars of the same value.
Throughout the years the Austin-Healey retained its original look through each generation: softly rounded lines. oval grille and a long hood and short rear deck. Healey's are one of the most attractive of production sports cars. with a style and appearance still pleasing to the eye today.
Starting with a four-cylinder 100/4 in 1953. Austin-Healeys changed to six-cylinder power in late 1956 with the first 100/6. The 3000 Mk I debuted in 1959. the Mk II in 1961 and the first of the Mk IIIs in 1964. The Mk IIs differed from the Mk I in the front with a new radiator grille design incorporating vertical bars in place of the previous horizontal theme. and under the hood with three SU HS4 carburetors. which boosted output from 124 to 132 bhp. The later Austin-Healeys. known as Mk III's. employed a rugged and highly successful 150 horsepower six-cylinder engine. The additional horsepower climbed due to cam. valve and exhaust system tweaks. The rugged Mk III six-cylinder engine has been proven through millions of miles of owner use and numerous rally and racing victories in the U. S. and Europe.
Mk III's incorporated a number of mechanical improvements. The overhead-valve six-cylinder gained a new camshaft design and stronger valve springs along with SU HD8 two-inch throat carburetors. A new dual exhaust system with an extra muffler at the rear was in keeping with the emphasis on passenger comfort. Servo brakes became standard and the traditional push-button starter gave way to key start. The transmission was supplied with new ratios. but still had an unsynchronized first gear. The walnut-veneered dashboard now housed an electric tachometer and a 140-mph speedometer. Other interior changes included seating material of Ambla. the British equivalent of high-grade leatherette. A center console including a padded armrest became standard and door pockets were eliminated. The small rear seating area featured a two-piece seat back that could be folded forward into a handy package tray. In keeping with market demands. roll-up windows had superseded the traditional side curtains. thereby broadening the car's appeal as a practical. everyday driver.
Mk III. Phase II. BJ8 cars were the ultimate Healey's. They included even more changes than the earlier Mk III BJ8's. The chassis members under the rear axle were improved; six-leaf rear springs were now standard and. the Panhard rod was removed. Wire wheel hubs now had coarser threads and the front sidelamps gained larger lenses. eventually changing to a set of four lenses for separate parking/directional indicators.
The Mk III. Phase II. BJ8's were the high point in driver and passenger comfort for the “Big” Healeys; as capable of making the daily commute yet still a very competitive and exciting car for a weekend of vintage racing.
Prices for excellent Mk III Phase II BJ8's have been heading upwards for the past several years. Some of them have been bringing 6 figures at the major auctions over the past few years.
The Wall Street Journal recently published two articles in the last few weeks indicating the increasing interest in Classic Cars as an Investment and how many of them have proven to beat the stock market over the past several years. One such article was on Oct 19th. 2012 by Joe Light. This article mentions that it's the Sports Cars. especially the Open Cars/Roadsters. that are performing the best in the Classic Car Market Place.
THE HEALEY BEING OFFERED
is a striking beautiful example of the most sought after Healey; the Austin Healey 3000. Mk III. Phase II. BJ8 Roadster in a highly sought after color; resale RED. It is the last year for the BJ8 Healey which makes it the most Collectable of the Healey's. It's also a NUMBERS MATCHING CAR.
Unlike the Healey's that you will find at big name auctions. this car is priced for real people with real wallets; WELL BELOW THE “NADA VALUE GUIDE.The car underwent a restoration over the past several years and still looks fantastic today as seen in the photographs. Since its restoration. the car has been VERY WELL cared for. and enjoyed only on beautiful sunny weekends. The current owner has owned it for over 30 years. and he has assured us that it has only seen rain once in the past 30 years. The current owner has recently retired and is scaling down on his life which is what brought this opportunity for someone to own this car which he has cherished for years. More important than the money; it is his wish that we find his car a home where it will be cared for to the same level he has done for so many years ----------- as a result the RESERVE price is WELL BELOW its NADA value.
The restoration included MANY Technical Updates to Increase Performance and Reliability. Outlined below are some. but not all. of the key things that were included in the restoration.
The following Items were Revised from Original to Improve Performance and Reliability
1. Entire brake system was replaced including booster. At that time synthetic brake fluid (purple color) was used. It was bled last year.
2. An electronic ignition system was installed just under the passenger dash.
3. The electrical ground was switched over to negative ground from the original positive ground. That was the only way the electronic ignition could be installed.
4. The fuel pump looks original but it is solid state system to avoid the problems of the original design.
5. The spokes of the wire wheels are polished stainless steel. but look like the original chrome spokes. This will prevent them from rusting in the future as the original wheels were prone to.
6. The rear end gears have been upgraded to the 3. 54:1 ratio. Thus highway driving is neither as wearing of motor or driver.
7. The new Silencer system is stainless steel. This will not only weather better than a steel system; it results in a better lower sounding system.
8. The cooling system has been upgraded with a 6 blade fan. new radiator core. hoses and routine flushing. Wetter Water agent is added to antifreeze as well.
9. Racing Style Wing Mirrors were added.
10. Insulated floor and transmission tunnel to improve cockpit comfort on warm days.
11. Rockers were re-bushed but the rest of the engine tested out to be very strong. due to the low miles. so it was left alone.
12. Replaced oil filter assembly with spin-on from Moss motors.
13. Chrome Valve Covers were added just to give the engine bay a little attitude.
14. Enhanced Air Cleaner Canisters were added. again to improve aesthetics
The following Items were Rebuilt or Replaced.
1. Entire Electrical System and Wiring
2. Entire Brake system.
3. Fuel system including Gas Tank. Fuel Pump. and Carburetors.
4. Transmission. Overdrive. Drive Shaft. and Rear End.
5. Glass Windows and Windscreen.
6. Entire Suspension. Wheels. Tires. Wheel Bearings. Springs. Band Springs and King Pins.
7. Stripped and Repainted all panels down to Sub-frame.
8. Rubber Seals and Trim.
9. Interior Panels. Seats (except rear seats – they were in excellent condition except for piping which has faded in color). Carpeting. Burled Wood Dash Panel and Radio.
10. Boot has been redone – High Quality Stay Fast material
11. Entire Exhaust (Silencer) system.
12. Steering Wheel.
13. Tonneau Cover. Convertible Top. Boot Cover. and Storage Bags for each.
14. Five new Tires and Chrome Wire Wheels
Items that remain undone.
1. Adjustment of fabric top frame to improve side window fit. This was never done as the car was never driven in the rain thus there was no need to put the top up.
2. There is a small tear behind the passenger seat. This was a low priority as it's not easily seen because its down low behind the driver's seat. and the tonneau cover was usually on which covers the entire back section.
3. Repaint a blistered spot under the bonnet lid. There is also one small blister on the front below the grill (3/16” in diameter). Other than that there are NO dents. scratches or chips throughout the entire exterior body; the paint looks BEAUTIFUL.
4. The heater blower hose which runs from the blower through the firewall needs to be installed. A new hose will be shipped with the car. It was again always a low priority as the heater was never used in the past 30+ years. The system is 100% functioning; one just needs to connect the hose.
The Beautiful Red paint looks great; it's of course one of the most popular colors chosen for the Austin Healey. Most people choose this color when restoring their Healey; this car was born RED.
The interior is stunning. The car still sports the original classic black "banjo" style wheel. The beautiful burled wooden dash panel. displaying the original artistically designed Smiths instrument gauges. was totally replaced with a high end dash panel purchased in the UK ---- it's beautiful and there are NO CRACKS on the dash wood. This interior is a classic.
The Black Stay-fast/Canvas Convertible Top is an upgrade from the original vinyl top and looks very classy.
The Tonneau Cover (with reinforcing bar). which covers the entire cockpit area. looks brand new.
The beautiful Chrome Wire Wheels set off against the beautiful RED paint enhance the overall appearance of the cars beauty.
As seen by the photos. the engine compartment and related components have all been restored and are READY FOR SHOW. Austin Healey green paint covers the engine and the big SU carbs hang off the side breathing through the air filters.
As mentioned above the exhaust system was also replaced with an upgraded Stainless Steel System and is in excellent / like-new condition. The sound coming out of the exhaust is like music to ones ears; especially as you drive down the road shifting through the gears.
The car runs out very smooth and with no hesitation or backfiring. and everything on the car is 100% functional (engine. brakes. lights. gauges. etc. ). Fire the engine with a twist of the key. set the choke until warm and select first gear: This gorgeous piece of jewelry is just as roadworthy as it is attractive.
This car also has the rare sought after overdrive function which basically gives you a 5th gear.
Included with the car. beyond what is mentioned above. is also a Car Jack. a few Healey Books. Extra Keys. the original Oil Filter Canister system. the original Rear End. and a Boot Cover which is also in like new condition.
A classic British sports car. the culmination of the marquee. brought up to contemporary drivability standards with elegance and precision—this Healey is definitely one to own. This is THE car to take to your regional car show and take down a trophy.
The Austin Healey 3000. Mk III. Phase II. BJ8 is a very desirable collector/investment vehicle; and the 1967 is the most desirable year due to the fact that it's the last year which means it employs all of the enhancements made to the Healey's over the years.
The current NADA value of a 1967 Austin Heleay 3000. Mk III. Phase II. BJ8 is as follows:
High Retail is $78. 00 USD (#2 car)
Average Retail is $50. 00 USD
As seen by the photos. the condition of this car is well above average. The RESERVE PRICE is set to allow someone to get a great deal (WELL BELOW BOOK VALUE) and affordably purchase a highly desirable Austin Healey 3000. Mk III. Phase II. BJ8 Roadster that is continually increasing in value.
Any questions about this car can be addressed through Ebay. IF YOU EMAIL YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION I WILL CALL YOU AND ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. I will keep your contact information confidential and not post it on Ebay.
Also. as people ask questions. and/or as I think of more information regarding my Healey I'll post this information daily so keep an eye on my ad throughout the auction.
NOTE: Once I get part way through the auction if I receive a reasonable offer I will consider a “Buy it Now” price thus the car may no longer be available. So don't hesitate to call me if your mind is set on purchasing this car.
The car is available for viewing prior to the end of the auction. Just contact me and I'll arrange a time for you to view it if you desire.
----------------Good Luck bidding -----------------
TERMS OF SALE OVERVIEW: I reserve the right to end this listing at anytime should the vehicle no longer be available for sale. The following terms of sale apply to this auction:
Payment: Upon placing a bid you agree to the following Terms: Buyer agrees to pay $1. 00. 00 USD PayPal non –refundable deposit within 24 hours of auction close. and balance in full within 7 days of the close of the auction via Wire Transfer. All financial transactions must be completed before delivery of the vehicle. A copy of a clear title will be sent to the Buyer (as proof of clear title) upon Buyer sending Seller Buyer's contact information. The original title will be sent to the Buyer within 5 Business Days upon Buyer paying for the vehicle in full.
Disclaimer: YOUR BID IS A BINDING CONTRACT PLEASE ONLY BID IF YOU INTEND TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE TRANSACTION! You're bidding to own this car. not the right to look at the car. This vehicle is sold AS-IS WHERE-IS. This vehicle is an old classic car and is not being represented as a new car; but rather a beautiful classic car. Once the Auction has ended. and the Reserve has been met the high/winning bidder is responsible for payment and for arranging shipping.
Payment Methods: $1. 00. 00 USD PayPal deposit within 24 hours of auction close. and remaining balance by Wire Transfer only within 7 days of the close of the auction.
Fees and Taxes: Out of state buyers are responsible for all state. county. city taxes and fees. as well as title/registration fees in the state that the vehicle will be registered.
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Austin-Healey cars offered via internet auctions:
price: $19,995.001964 Austin Healey 3000
price: $74,500.001967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8 ROADSTER
price: $36,500.001957 Austin-Healey 100-6
price: $59,900.00Trades Considered Financing Available $571 per month
|1963 Austin Healey 3000 Mark III Replica||4||$31,995.00|
|1964 Austin Healey 3000 MKIII BJ8 --||12||$79,900.00|
|1967 Austin Healey 3000||21||$94,900.00|
|1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8||12||$15,750.00|
|1960 Austin Healey Sprite||12||$26,000.00|
|1968 Austin Healey Sprite||21||$US $500.00|
|1962 Austin Healey Other||16||$US $9,999.00|
|1957 Austin Healey Other||10||$45,000.00|
|1967 Austin Healey 3000 --||10||$79,900.00|
|1972 Austin Healey Sprite rally prepared||18||$US $18,100.00|
|1959 Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite MK I --||21||$US $7,500.00|
|1967 Austin Healey 3000||21||$US $40,100.00|
|1957 Austin Healey 100-6 Roadster||21||$US $5,500.00|
|1962 Austin Healey Other||5||$18,500.00|
|Austin Healey: 3000 Leather||21||$C $135,000.00|
|1960 Austin Healey Other||9||$US $830.00|
|1955 Austin Healey 100 BN1 "LE MANS"||21||$89,995.00|
|1967 Austin Healey 3000 3000, BJ8||14||$US $79,775.00|
|1968 Austin Healey Sprite||12||$US $6,600.00|
|1962 Austin Healey 3000||21||$38,500.00|