1959 Rolls-Royce Hooper Silver Cloud I
Sale price: $125,000.00 make an offer
Technical specifications, photos and description:
20. 8px;">The Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I was built between 1955 and 1959 20. 8px;">with a total of 2360 units. of which 122 were long wheelbase 20. 8px;">models. which first came available in 1957. There were only 121 20. 8px;">short wheelbase chassis that were fitted with special coach-built 20. 8px;">bodies and of the long wheelbase versions only 36 were ever 20. 8px;">bodied. The Silver Cloud & quot;Empress & quot; was one of these rare long 20. 8px;">wheelbase coach models. 20. 8px;">Eighteen examples of the Silver Cloud I Empress LWB were 20. 8px;">made by Hooper and it is one of the last creations made by the 20. 8px;">renowned Hooper Coachbuilding Company before they ceased 20. 8px;">coach building in 1959. 20. 8px;">This is Design # 8546. a Two Door 4 Light Saloon Coupe that 20. 8px;">is the only one ever produced by Hooper. It incorporates a 20. 8px;">long sweeping line and very pretty and distinctive. swirling 20. 8px;">spats at the rear. 20. 8px;">Rolls-Royce records show that this car was originally purchased 20. 8px;">by The Daily Telegraph Newspaper/Lady Camrose. the long-time 20. 8px;">companion and eventual wife of John Seymour Berry. 2nd 20. 8px;">Viscount Camrose (12 July 1909 15 February 1995). Berry was 20. 8px;">a British nobleman. politician. and owner of the Daily Telegraph. It 20. 8px;">is widely published that John Seymour Berry s father. William 20. 8px;">Berry. 1 st Viscount Camrose was a close personal friend of 20. 8px;">Winston Churchill. making it easy to imagine that many of 20. 8px;">Englands elite upper class at some point may have ridden in this 20. 8px;">unique and prestigious automobile. 20. 8px;">There is a fascinating link in that Lady Camrose was once married 20. 8px;">to Aly Kahn. son of the Aga Kahn. Within just a few years. both 20. 8px;">father and son (or daughter in law) purchased extraordinarily 20. 8px;">distinctive coachwork from Hooper. with the father ordering a very 20. 8px;">stylish and unique Hooper body on a Phantom IV. one of the most 20. 8px;">important cars produced by Rolls-Royce since 1945 and winner of 20. 8px;">its class at Pebble Beach in 2015.
20. 8px;">The chain of ownership since Lady Camrose is well recorded. 20. 8px;">The noted Rolls-Royce London dealers. Frank Dale & Stepson 20. 8px;">have extensive records. including many early invoices. from the 20. 8px;">time they sold the car in 1974 and. after reviewing their files. have 20. 8px;">even found the spare key which would be made available to the 20. 8px;">new owner! 20. 8px;">There is a less gilded period in the cars history when it was 20. 8px;">owned by Herb Wetanson who owned the Wetsons hamburger 20. 8px;">(the Big W was the signature burger) restaurant chain in the 20. 8px;">greater New York area. During this time or soon after. work was 20. 8px;">done by John Dennison. the noted Rolls-Royce mechanic in PA. 20. 8px;">USA. This is reported by Paul Bier. son of the party who bought 20. 8px;">the car from Wetanson in about 1980. 20. 8px;">In March 2016 the car underwent extensive mechanical 20. 8px;">restoration to rebuild the entire braking system and to return the 20. 8px;">car to running order. There is full documentation showing all the 20. 8px;">work that has been performed. Over $20. 00 has been spent on 20. 8px;">the mechanical overhaul. The engine is now blissfully quiet and 20. 8px;">balanced. Outside a new Rolls-Royce. BLC35 is quieter than 20. 8px;">almost any other Rolls-Royce. amongst hundreds. ever heard by 20. 8px;">the writer. 20. 8px;">The hydraulically operated rear passenger seat. installed by 20. 8px;">Hooper. allows for a handicapped person to easily sit on the 20. 8px;">rotated and elevated rear seat at the front passenger door.
Then. 20. 8px;">once activated. it will automatically return to the rear passenger 20. 8px;">compartment. Currently the seat can only be operated manually 20. 8px;">and will require a flushing of the hydraulic lines and pump. Once 20. 8px;">returned to its rear positon. the seat is beautifully integrated with 20. 8px;">the other rear seat and the whole arrangement is barely visible. It 20. 8px;">is an extraordinary testament to the technical and aesthetic 20. 8px;">genius of Hooper at the time. The writer believes that even in 20. 8px;">2016. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars could not match this in creativity 20. 8px;">and imagination. 20. 8px;">The leather is original. Unless for Concours. it would be 20. 8px;">preferable to arrange a skilled repair and refurbishment to retain 20. 8px;">its immense appeal. 20. 8px;">The wood finish is largely original and usable but would benefit 20. 8px;">from refinishing. certainly for Show. 20. 8px;">The structure would appear to be outstanding and the passenger 20. 8px;">door. inevitably large on a two door coupe. closes with the 20. 8px;">conviction of a new car. 20. 8px;">An extraordinarily rare car. a highpoint of Hoopers prowess. well 20. 8px;">suited for immediate use with only minimal attention. or to a 20. 8px;">greater Concours destiny 20. 8px;">Short walk around video:
20. 8px;" />
20. 8px;" /> Vehicle Photos: Vehicle Warranty:
This vehicle is being sold as is. where is with no warranty. expressed written or implied. The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description. authenticity. genuineness. or defects herein. and makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness. imperfection. defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type. It is the responsibility of the buyer to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle. and to have satisfied himself or herself as to the condition and value and to bid based upon that judgement solely. The seller shall and will make every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects associated with this vehicle at the buyer's request prior to the close of sale. Seller assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any oral statements about the vehicle.Terms and Conditions: Payment Options We accept the following payment methods:
- Cashier's Check/money order
- Loan check from eBay Financing Center
- Cash (in person)
Vehicle Pickup & Shipping All shipping charges are buyer's responsibility. General Terms
We accept cashiers checks and bank wire transfer as payment methods. However the car will only be realsed when full payment is recieved in sellers bank account.Fees and Taxes
Taxes and Fees: Out of state buyers are not charged tax. title. or license but are responsible for the documentation fee. The customer is responsible for registering the vehicle in their home state. You will receive 30-day in-transit tags☎ Call to 718-545-0500 for more information
Also published at eBay.com
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Rolls-Royce cars offered via internet auctions:
price: $39,500.001973 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow - 4 door sedan
price: £32,500.001958 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I SFE237
price: $60,854.00Professionally restored to orig condition. Immaculate show class presentation.
price: $14,750.001950 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith