1937 Bentley 4 1/4 Mann Egerton Sports Saloon B117KU for sale
Current customer rating:(2.15) based on 150 votes
A recent long-term ownership of about thirty years has helped to keep this handsome "semi-razor edge" car in good order. The car was advertised in ‘Motor Sport' magazine in 1977. and described then as “Restored to show standard”. The paint. interior. etc. appear to be from that period. and are still in good order. The leather interior is particularly appealing. The body structure is good and solid. the engine runs well. the car has just been re-commissioned and is MoT tested until November 2013. The price includes a full set of new tyres & tubes and the wheels have just been re-enamelled in black. Chassis No. B117KU. Reg No. USK 449. £47. 00. Snippets: Naturalists & Author Edward C Keith the first owner of B117KU was a British naturalist & author of books including “Woodcock & Snipe”. “Trout in Norfolk” & “Gun for Company”. Interest in Botany & Biology is also apparent in his wife's family; Gertrude May Keith nee Telfair was the granddaughter of Dr. Charles Telfair & Annabella Chamberlayne (daughter of Admiral Charles Chamberlayne). After graduating from Belfast Universitya a medical Doctor. Charles Telfair (in 1797) joined the Royal Navy as a ship's surgeon & in 1816 he subsequently settled in Mauritius where he established a sugar plantation. several botanical gardens as well being appointed as the Personal Secretary to Governor Robert Farquhar. In 1826 Dr C. Telfair introduced bananas from China to Mauritius & in 1829 he sent banana plants to England where they were subsequently cultivated by Lord Cavendish (6th Duke of Devonshire). His wife. Annabella was a botanical artist & plant collector in her own right & the collection of her correspondence with William Jackson Hooker are preserved at Kew Gardens. Edward C Keith had also owned B49FC. again a Mann Edgerton design. prior to acquiring B117KU. Edward's brother James Archibald Keith was appointed High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1931 & his family home of West Barsham Hall is still occupied by members of the Keith family. After WWII B117KU was acquired by Major Egbert Cadbury; John Cadbury (1801/1889) the patriarch of the Cadbury family was a staunch Quaker (as were the Fry. Rowntree & Terry families) & as such barred from profession within the Law. Medicine. Armed Forces or entering Parliament. so John Cadbury concentrated on “Trade” excluding alcohol. In 1824 John opened the first Tea & Coffee shop in Bristol & by 1850 was the holder of a Royal Warrant. In 1860 his two sons. Richard & George (Egbert's father) imported a Dutch Cocoa press (invented by C. J. van Houten) & became the market leaders and millionaires & in 1878 they purchased a farm on the banks of the River Bourne where they created their “factory in the country” Bourneville. By the early 20th Century members of the Quaker faith realised that with the threat of War looming they would need to temper their belief & so in 1915 Egbert Cadbury (George's youngest son) enlisted in the Royal Naval Air Service and was subsequently decorated for his role in bringing down two German Zepplins. His father never made public his opinion on the matter but would not engage in even the indirect production of war materials nor allow recruiting on the factory grounds.
Also published at eBay.co.uk
Want to buy this car?
Comments and questions to the seller:
Other classic Bentley cars offered via internet auctions: