This is the history of the brand Hillman since the establishment of the company and up to the most modern of vehicles produced under this brand.
We have collected the best classic cars in our catalogue. In addition, if you're going to buy one - just check the latest Hillman listings in the United Kingdom.
In early 1907, William Hillman founded his own firm Hillman Motor Car. The car appeared in 1907 under the name "Hillman-Koatalen" or "25NR." It was a big car with an engine power of 25 hp with four separately molded cylinders and side flaps and the cone clutch, three-speed transmission (third - Overdrive), and driveline. In the same year, L. Koatalen driving this car took part in the competition "Tourist Trophy". In 1908, there was a characteristic shape radiator that was on all cars "Hillman" until 1930.
In 1909, when L. Koatalen moved on to another company, Hillman himself designed the model of the "12/16NR" with a 4-cylinder engine in the first 2.4 and then 2.7 liters. The car was produced until the end of 1913, they were replaced by two new models. One of them, a little-known, with a 2-cylinder engine capacity of 1.8 liters, did not enjoy much success. Another - "9NR" - proved to be more successful and produced about 10 years. She had a 4-cylinder engine (1357 cm3) with side valves, magneto ignition and a 3-speed gearbox.
In 1916 new Technical Director of A.-Dzh. Dawson has created a model of "11NR" with a 1.6-liter engine. However, its production did not begin until after the First World War and lasted until 1925
In the years 1926-28 the firm had in its program a single model "14NR" created under the direction of J.-P. Black. It was equipped with 4-cylinder 2.0-liter engine with side valves, magneto ignition, 4-speed transmission and brakes on all wheels.
In 1928, the company "Hillman" became part of the Group's Rootes. Then in early 1929, was the first and only mastered the "Hillman" with an 8-cylinder engine capacity of 2.6 liters, valves in the cylinder head and the battery ignition. However, due to the come of the global economic crisis, this model called Voltic produced in small quantities, and in 1932 its production was stopped.
In 1931 at the London Motor Show "Hillman" introduced two new items. One of them - Wizard-assumed for mass production. Its equipped with a 6-cylinder engine (2110 cm3, 42 hp or 2810 cm3, 51 hp), 4-speed transmission and brakes Bendix. All-metal body is supplied by Pressed Steel.
Another new showroom was Minx, which caused much interest. The car, launched in 1932, the originally equipped with 4-cylinder engine (1185 cm3, 30 hp) with side valves, mounted on rubber supports.
In 1935, "Minx" was the first British small car received a fully synchronized four-speed gearbox. On request the machine completed with a spare wheel and radio.
During the 1938-40's company also produced a larger five-seat model "14" with a 4-cylinder 2.0-liter engine with 51 hp the side flaps. The car has had some success in foreign markets, despite the absence of hydraulic brakes, which appeared only in 1940, after the war rebirth and renewal, "Hillman 14" a few years under the brand name "Humber Hawk."
Commercial production of the "Minx" was resumed in 1945 and continued unchanged until 1947, when the cars got hydraulic brakes, recessed lights in the wings, and the shift lever on the steering column. In 1949, "Minx" began to produce a pontoon with a new body shape with a capacity of 6 passengers and the new lever-spring front suspension. Apart from the main body sedan, the new "Minx" was issued as a Cabriolet, Coupe Californian - and versatile - Husky.
In 1956 was held the next upgrade "Meeks" with the introduction of longer and lower body with improved design and enhanced transmission. Its top speed increased to 130 km / h
From 1956 to 1960, "Minx" is also produced under license by the Japanese company Isuzu.
In 1962, the family of "Minx" was supplemented by a larger model of Super Minx with a wheelbase of 2,560 mm. This model within the group "Roots" also produced under the names of Humber Sceptre and Singer Vogue with minor external differences.
Also in 1962 the concern "Roots" was built a new factory in Lynwood, where a May 1963 produced rear-engined small car Imp, developed under the leadership of Peter Uora. "Imp" was supposed to compete with the very popular at the Ford Anglia and Morris Mini Minor. The car had a 4-cylinder engine (875 cm3, 39 hp), with aluminum block designed by Coventry-Climax, a fully synchronized four-speed gearbox, rack and pinion steering and independent suspension on all wheels. The peculiarity of the body was openable rear window and folding rear seats to increase the boot.
"Imp" has successfully performed in 1964 in the "Tulip Rally" and in 1965 in the "Rally of Poland." This has stimulated the creation of a special version of the Imp Rallye motor with two carburetors (998 cm3, 115 hp). However, demand for "Imp" was lower than expected, because of what company found itself in financial trouble. Therefore, in 1964 a controlling stake in the company, "Hillman" has moved from "Roots" to the concern Chrysler.
The new management has expanded the line of "Imp" due to modifications of the "De Luxe" and "Super", and in 1967 replaced the "Super Minx" new model Hunter with a new front suspension, but with the same engine of 1725 cm3. In 1968, the "Hunter" has become famous victory in the transcontinental auto marathon London-Sydney. The following year, the program was supplemented by the firm four-door sedan, "Hillman GT» also with the engine in 1725 cm3, but with two carburetors, so his power increased to 79 hp
In the same period, licensed assembly of cars "Hillman" was organized in Iran under the name Raukan, as well as in South Africa, where the machines are equipped with engine Peugeot.
In October 1970, a veteran of the company - "Minx" - finally gave way to new models - "Hunter II» and «Eyvendzher." The latter was more compact than the "Hunter II», and looked more modern. "Eyvendzher" offered with two different 4-cylinder engine 1248 cm3 (53 hp) and 1498 cm3 (63 hp). Commissioned by the two vehicles manned automatic transmission. In the United States, "Hillman Eyvendzher" sold under the brand name Plymouth Cricket.
In 1972, there were new versions of "Eyvendzher" - four-door sedan and wagon Tiger II, which had the engine with twin carburetors (1496 cm3, 75 hp) and wheels made of magnesium alloy. In 1973, the company released a version of "Hunter GLS» with a new engine (1.6 liter, 78 hp) more effective brakes and a wide-radial tires. The car reached a speed of 160 km / h These models were produced until 1978, but the last two years only under the brand name "Chrysler" as a trademark in 1976, "Hillman" has ceased to exist.
After the European subsidiaries "Chrysler" were bought group Peugeot-Citroen, the former plant "Hillman" became part of the British branch of the association.